Author Topic: Burns family of Washington.  (Read 294 times)

Offline dido

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Burns family of Washington.
« on: Tuesday 19 January 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi fellow rooters.
Help in locating Burns family still living in Washington. James Burns living in Usworth in particular. He was living here in 1930s and would have been in his 40s maybe 50 at that time. That's about as much as I have to go on.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burns family of Washington.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
A search of the 1939 National Register (taken in September 1939) for a James Burns living in the Washington district of County Durham (Usworth comes under Washington) has failed to find a James Burns in his 30's.

There were only three James Burns living in the Washington UDC district at that time, they are:

James Burns living at 2 Ash Street, Washington. Date of Birth 24/4/1873. Unmarried, working as a Night watchman.

James Burns living at 11 Tees Terrace, Washington. Date of Birth 14/4/1882. Married, working as a Council road worker. His wife is shown as Mary Burns, Date of Birth 6/11/1885. No other family listed.

James Burns, living at 63 Pattinson Town, Washington. Date of Birth 7/1/1925. Unmarried, working as an Apprentice Joiner. Living with his parents and siblings. Details: Father Joseph F Burns, Date of Birth 12/10/1900 Mother Jane Burns, Date of Birth 3/7/1901. Siblings: Joseph, Date of Birth 6/1/1926; Michael L, Date of Birth 7/11/1929; Peter, Date of Birth 30/11/1936

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The birth of a James Burns was registered in the June Qtr 1899 in the Chester le Street district of Durham (Washington / Usworth is part of this district). He married an Ann E Ward in the March Qtr of 1920. The marriage was in the Chester le Street district. James Burns died in 1932, March Qtr. His widow was living in Bradford when the 1939 National Register was taken. There is a birth registered in the Chester le Street district for the September Qtr 1921 - name of Vera G Burns, mother's maiden name of Ward.

Offline dido

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you AllanUK for the prompt reply.
I will look at the info in detail to see if I can match them to my queries. Your search was valuable and much appreciated. I, like everyone else was looking forward to the 1921 census that won't be anytime soon will it?

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I believe that the 1921 Census will be published on the Find My Past website in 2022. I also believe that it will be an additional cost to view it over and above the normal FindMyPast subscription.

Offline dido

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, can't wait.

I think I miscalculated James age in 1930 which I have modified on the first post. He was more likely late 40s. Its not too far out. The info you posted could still apply.