Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 19th January.  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 19th January.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Weather dark and dismal, some rain and later in the day the wind got up.   Usual actvities during course of day.

Whatsapp with my niece - things going well with the babies.   I know husband is very hands on but asked if Luke (16) and Esmae (10) help in any way.   Luke gives them the odd cuddle but Esmae mothers them and is even changing nappies.  I remember when she played with her baby dolls they always had to have a nappy on so clearly good practice for now.   Bless her!

Did washing on Monday, just a set of bedding to do now and up to date.   Then the dreaded ironing.  Watched Long Lost Family on Monday - was surprised that a Spanish couple were allowed to adopt a child in England at a time when it was difficult for couples here to adopt anyway with all the rules and regulations. 

At the weekend my sister and b-in-law finally got to see the twins albeit only through a window.  Very emotional from all accounts. 

Cousins quiz later today so will no doubt be a laugh as usual.   Could certainly do with a laugh anyway.

Stay safe.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like life at home with the twins is settling in to a rhythm Annette, which is good news.
Enjoy the quiz.
Thanks for chipping in Chris. I always like hearing about life somewhere different.
How awful for you that the fire season has started already, and so close to home. You must have been immensely relieved once the danger passed.
I look forward to good news any day now about your grandson. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
That's nearly right Ruskie, it was Caroline and MH who posted together. :)

MH, it seems to be a trade off!  ;D We'll have to see if we can get Caroline to use Notepad.  :)

Aaahhh! Of course it was. I think Tuesday is best forgotten.  ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Woke up an hour earlier than I needed to but couldn't get back off to sleep.  I got up before the alarm and had cereal for breakfast  but no drink as it is a work day.
It was very early morning, dark, raining and a bit foggy when I lugged out my rubbish bin before setting off to work.  I went a little earlier than usual as this is my first day shift since bus services have been reduced again and I feel a bit anxious about what to expect.
I was some distance from the stop  when I saw a bus coming along.  I decided to make a sprint for it and put my arm out hopefully so the driver can see that I want to catch this bus.  The bus stops at the stop and I carry on running pell mell, but think, it's useless they won't wait, they probably haven't noticed and will pull away anyway before I get there.  But I carry on running.  My luck was in as the driver had noticed  and waited and opened the doors on my approach.  I just manage to gasp out "Thank you very much!" before heading up to the top deck.  There are a good number of people on this early morning service.    I am so out of breath, it feels a bit frightening as I gasp for air.    I have to pull my mask slightly from my face so I can breathe better.  I am clearly unfit for sprinting.  After a minute or two my breathing has settled down again and I feel back to normal.
 When I reach Newcastle I see that the rough sleeper is in his usual spot.  His sleeping bag is at his side and he is sitting up, with his arms wrapped around his knees.  He looks very cold.   He has a lady friend with him today sitting opposite him.  She is talking a lot.  Of course, she might not be a lady friend.  She could be an outreach worker trying to talk him into staying somewhere better.  I live in hope.
I am the only passenger when I get on my second bus.
After my shift is finished I return to Newcastle and call at M&S to get a few things and something for tea.  I really wanted to get some veggie kievs with the lovely garlic sauce.  I was quite disappointed to see there were none.  I asked a staff member if there might be some out the back.  He checks his scanner  and tells me that not only are there none out the back but they don't expect a delivery for the next two weeks.  Darn it! I think.  I have been looking forward to those veggie kievs all day!  Something else I wanted was also out of stock so I had to do a bit of a substitute shop and added some bramley apple turnovers to my basket to cheer myself up.
The second bus journey home felt very relaxing but cold.  Since last week the new idea is to keep windows open on the bus.  There is a sign on the windows stating:
'Please leave this window open Layers on to stay warm, windows open to keep everyone covid-19 safe!'  (I have attached a photo I took at the weekend of the sign - can't adjust photo size as I am using my Kindle to post)
Had my substitute tea when I got in and  read for a bit before bed.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Tuesday was dull but we did have some sunshine and I think some flurries as well.
Didn’t do much, a bit of online work, a bit of family history, a bit of the now accursed jigsaw, but am almost done. Managed to clean the main bathroom after my shower.  Afternoon taken up with nap (leg pain tires me out), some TV, and made evening meal.  Had given OH dessert choice and he picked the right one - Lemon squares, so made those.
My brother phoned about money owed by the government to many many thousands of veterans, including, apparently our father, who died in 2012.  Will have to see if they contact me, as I was the executor.  Not holding my breath!
Had a bad night, woke at 3:15, leg pain, unusual when I am at rest.  Put my TENs electronic device on, it took the edge off, dozed a bit.  Heard the snowplow at the school across the street around 4 a.m.  Why??  When I took the dog out there was only about an inch and a half of new stuff, hardly worth the effort, and very few staff in with the kids out. It was colder this a.m., though, supposedly -11C with wind.  Didn’t feel that cold.
Made tea, back to bed, been up just to get the leg moving, now I should get dressed!
We will watch the US inauguration at noon...out with the old, in with the new, thank goodness.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That's nearly right Ruskie, it was Caroline and MH who posted together.  :)

MH, it seems to be a trade off!  ;D We'll have to see if we can get Caroline to use Notepad.  :)

you have to be joking 🤣🤣🤣 I use my iPad to write and usually in bed at the time.... wouldn’t have a clue how to write copy and paste!!!!!!!
hardly ever use the computer so I’ll just wait for others to post!

Caroline

Aaw Caroline, don't let me put you off, we know from experience it can soon be sorted out if we cross.  :D

Chris, lovely to hear from you and what a different life yours is from most of ours. While I've been envying you the warmth, 43 degrees sounds a bit excessive! It must be so wearing for your daughter, hope the little one makes an appearance soon.Thank goodness you were all able to escape the fire and it never reached you. No wonder you were busy last week!

Annette, good to hear that the babies are doing well, and well done little Esme! Re the Long Lost Family episode, I think the Spanish couple were living in England at the time, perhaps they gave the impression that they were staying here permanently rather than going back to Spain. It must have been odd for the birth parents that their son's first language isn't the same as theirs.
Enjoy your quiz.  :)

Oh dear Ruskie, hope Tuesday wasn't too bad.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 16:08 GMT (UK) »
RTL, what a shame you lost out on an hour of your precious sleep when you had a long work day ahead.Thank goodness the bus driver waited for you after your sprint, not such good news about the shopping. I can recommend the M&S bramley apple hot cross buns, they're lovely. A distant memory!

Diana, sorry to hear you've been in pain, hope it gets better soon. Fingers crossed that the government comes up with your father's cash eventually. Minus 11 degrees, can hardly imagine it!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank, Roobarb.  It is now 4 in the afternoon here, my leg feels much better, just a twinge or two.  Very strange how it comes and goes with no real explanation.  I wouldn't mind getting the cash from the government, but I can imagine the rigmarole I might have to go through - just hate all that.  Today is much more like our typical January - I for one, cannot imagine doing yard work in January!!  The yard is rock hard under the snow anyway, and nothing is growing  :).  We are advised not to do any yard work until May, as it is too stressful on the grass.  But I always see lots of people out raking up the lawn in late April.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear your leg is better Diana. I believe sciatica is caused by the nerve so I suppose that would mean it would be intermittent. Of course I'm no doctor so it's just an educated guess!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham