Author Topic: Birdenham??? Mary Ann Hatch and Son Thomas James  (Read 474 times)

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birdenham??? Mary Ann Hatch and Son Thomas James
« on: Wednesday 20 January 21 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Members
My grandfather lying about his age [he was 16] and his birthplace Birdenham 12Dec 1878 signed on into the Northants Regt.I can find no such place and I wonder if the recorder wrote the place down as it sounded  e.g. Trottiscliffe is pronounced Trossly. There was 17 years age difference between his parents and I suspect the marriage was not a happy one.My grandfather became a groom in the army and I wonder whether he and his mother were working for one of the great houses in the area perhaps the Disraelis.Her name was Mary Ann Hatch born Waltham St Lawrence 29 May 1842 and he was Thomas James Hatch born Littlewick Bray 12 May 1862 an only child
Grateful if you can locate them in 1871 and any theories on Birdenham.
Regards
Historyman

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: BIRDENHAM??? MARY ANN HATCH and Son THOMAS JAMES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I can't find them on the 1871 census, but how about the birthplace being Burnham?   It's only a short distance across the river from Cookham.

Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BIRDENHAM??? MARY ANN HATCH and Son THOMAS JAMES
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 21 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks HarryW There is a Hatch in Burnham which could be Mary Ann Powney Hatch's husband Thomas Hatch b Cookham.Mary was born Waltham St Lawrence 17 years younger ,I suspect their marriage was not a happy union only one child Thomas James b Littlewick Bray.If one does a google search for Birdenham near High Wycombe the response is Do you mean Bradenham near High Wycombe. Bradenham was the seat of Benjamin Disraeli's father, By 1881 Mary was a domestic servant at Bramley Court a school in Yorkshire and died aged 41 a dressmaker in Jerusalem Denholme Thornton Yorks.