Author Topic: captcha'd  (Read 552 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
captcha'd
« on: Wednesday 20 January 21 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Am I alone in being infuriated by the requirement to complete not just one but two captchas before being allowed to log in to this web site?  Sometimes even again while I'm in the middle of browsing.

I ran an anti-virus program, as suggested, but it made no difference.  Am I being punished for using Windows XP?  I'd go back to Windows 98 if it were possible.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: captcha'd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I've never had to solve a captcha while using this website , however they do irritate me sometimes on other sites , chiefly because I can't always see the things I'm supposed to pick out and tick.

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I, too have never had to solve a captcha when using RootsChat?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Neither had I until about a week ago.
I don't think anything's changed at my end, so can't see why I've suddenly been singled out for this harrassment.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Click on the option to stay logged in.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 18:40 GMT (UK) »

No I've never had to solve a captcha when using RootsChat.  That does seem strange. :-\
Sure Trystan will sort it out for you.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wee Hugh,

Argh! I fell your pain, and I'm sorry to say that it is caused by a security "feature" that is designed to cause some types of web browser from certain operating systems to have to go through a Capthcha. I'd rather not say too much about it publically, as it's a security, in the same way as I wouldn't give details of our house alarm system.

Broadly speaking it keeps a massive lot of the automated bad guys out completely, and then legitimate users can still get in, but unfortunatley only by getting through this Captcha. It's a pain in the neck for you, I know, and I'm sorry.

If you download another type of browser for your computer then you should hopefully be fine.

This topic is locked just to avoid it growing arms and legs and walking off into loads of other directions, but if you'd like more help Wee Hugh then please do PM me.

My apologies again,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.