Author Topic: Warwickshire County Asylum records  (Read 619 times)

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warwickshire County Asylum records
« on: Thursday 21 January 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that three members of the same family were admitted to the County Asylum at Hatton between 1870 and 1897. All three died there, the last in 1904.

I'm finding the Record Office website rather difficult to navigate, but it seems they have the records, although they are not generally available.

Given that the last of these people died 116 years ago, does anyone with more experience than me think it is possible that the 100 year rule applies and I might be able to see their records?

Many thanks

Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Warwickshire County Asylum records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/9be0c62f-51fb-435b-b193-91f791258cb3

Looks like you would have to view them at the RO so you need to ring them re access
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
Given that the last of these people died 116 years ago, does anyone with more experience than me think it is possible that the 100 year rule applies and I might be able to see their records?

Although your ancestor died 116 years ago, their records will have been recorded in very large bound volumes - which may well span 30-40 years therefore the records may have to stay closed.

You could email the archive and give the name and date and enquire if you were to visit if you would be able to view the volume. Alternatively you could enquire how much it would cost to have the pages photographed and sent to you.

The site of the asylum is now a housing estate but the mane house is still standing.

Good luck with your search.

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reminding me that this is yet another unfinished thread of research!

I'll follow this up now and see if the Record Office is open again on any basis.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley