Author Topic: How to find someone in Edinburgh having address  (Read 1531 times)

Offline hibiscusgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find someone in Edinburgh having address
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 January 21 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dorrie

The address Windsor Street  is the address my sister who visited Roy with my Mum when she was a teenager gave me. I may be able to confirm the exact address tomorrow. As there are only 30 houses on the street and one person named Roy who lived at number 5.

The same name of Roy Andrew Alexander Wilson only appeared at those other addresses...but never two in the same years 1951-1966
MOSLEY, PARKIN & GRIMES (SHEFFIELD)
BLOODWORTH & LOUDER/LOWDER (SHEFFIELD & NORTHANTS)
MOSELEY/ SCHUHMACHER/KROPP/WITTKE/SHAWAKER/NIPPERT Columbus (USA)
FREEMAN/HOLBERRY (HAYTON, NOTTS)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 January 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I took a look too at the Roy A. Walker's you listed. If your sister remembers visiting him at the Windsor Street address then I feel it pure coincidence but the 3 other addresses are not him. As I said the lady named at these addresses are not the one he married.

I can't mention names here as she may still be alive but I will PM you with the names etc.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 January 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
The complete name, Roy Andrew Alex Wilson, is distinctive. Wonder whether this is connected to him:

James' uncle, Captain Roy Andrew Alexander Wilson, was also a cadet on HMS Conway and had a relatively brief career which ended in tragedy. He was in port when the authorities impounded the ship as there were monies owed, which meant that no-one amongst the crew got paid and they were unable to leave the harbour (Port Harcourt, Nigeria). All that the family knew was that Captain Wilson was agitating on behalf of himself and the crew when he met a fatal accident whilst ashore. It was a relatively lawless place at the time and the general belief is that it was a set-up and he was subject of an ‘arranged accident’ when his car was run off a cliff...
https://borthmaritimehistory.com/rory-james-wilson.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hibiscusgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 January 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica

Thank you for looking  up this information  for me. I think you are right about the combination of four names and the Roy I am looking at did appear to die young at 37 years old.

Regards Brian

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 January 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »

He died on 22/5/1969 at Bluff Road, Natal aged 37. Shipmaster born in Edinburgh. Normal residence 3 Muirpark, Eskbank. No further relevant info given such as his parents or wife.

Brian, I would be inclined if you to go with the death place and details from the consular returns for his death. Bluff is bang next door to Durban Harbour and would fit well potentially with all/some of the story above. Just the location may be different (Port Harcourt, Nigeria v. Durham Harbour, Bluff).

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 January 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I have found the death notice for the lady who was likely Roy A.'s wife. She remarried in 1971 and moved to England. I will send this to you via PM to respect her privacy and that of her family.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Just trying to work around the link which had the mention of George William Gray and how descendants could then connect to Roy A A Wilson. This is from the link above https://borthmaritimehistory.com/rory-james-wilson.html

I think George William Gray and wife Nora Neilsen were actually g g grandparents rather than uncle relationship. I have found this family tree on Ancestry (you need a subs to view it, Brian. Don't know if you have this). The link to it is www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/12643839/person/-123623128/facts

Summarazing from there:

George W Gray and wife Nora Neilsen.

Daughter Agnes Gertrude Gray (1872-1928) married an Alexander Turner Wilson (1869-1909).

Son Thomas Fowler Rorie Wilson b in Burma 1905 died 1945 in New Delhi, India. He married a Mary Purves Miller (1907-84).

Three sons from marriage, all born in Edinburgh:
Charles 1930-2005
Roy A A 1932-70
David 1935-2012

All of this should be straightforward enough to confirm. For certs that are not viewable online, you will have to likely wait till lockdown is lifted...

From the following link, these details are given for the family and WW2 death of Thomas Fowler Rorie Wilson, Roy's father: www.gwc.org.uk/about-us/heritage/watsons-war-records/?surname=&conflict=&regiment=&cemetery=&page=79 Just scroll down to his name on the page. A photo of him is included. See also www.findagrave.com/memorial/22914542/thomas-fowler_rorie-wilson

Not sure you can go much further online really unless someone has access to material and resources that could help.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:17 GMT (UK) »
As an aside, the reference to Nora Neilsen Gray, daughter of George W and wife Nora in that link above, this is a reference to her here www.lissllewellyn.com/llfa__w_Artist-Norah-Neilson-Gray__A_590__r__.htm

Monica

Offline hibiscusgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 January 21 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the contributions which came in last evening. I am looking through all the details now. I have also sent off the photos of Roy to my sister in Australia, to see if she can recognise him. She was about 13 years old at the time.

She did say Roy lived in a flat, possibly the first floor and maybe number 15. However the voting records show Roy living at number 5 which appears to be a block of flats and number 15 only had two occupants.

Best wishes
Brian