Author Topic: Help with William Glover born c1740 a Glazier who resided in Prescot  (Read 306 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with William Glover born c1740 a Glazier who resided in Prescot
« on: Thursday 21 January 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone can help me with a further enquiry about this Glover family, and I attach a link to a previous request.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831125.0

Baptism: 28 May 1767 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Esther Glover - Dautr. of William Glover & Sarah
    Born: 16 May
    Abode: Prescot
    Register: Baptisms 1766 - 1809, Page 5, Entry 37
    Source: LDS Film 1657583

If my 5th GGM Esther Glover is the one shown on LancsOPC as being born to William and Sarah Glover (possible MMN Standish) whom I guess would be born around 1740, I have gained the following details:

Marriage: 4 Apr 1763 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
William Glover - Altringham
Sarah Standish - (X), Prescot
    Witness: William Parr; Wm. Banester
    Banns Read: 20 Mar 1763, 2nd: 27 Mar 1763, 3rd: 3 Apr 1763
    Married by Banns by: A Ashcroft Curate
    Register: Marriages by Banns 1754 - 1788, Page 67, Entry 266
    Source: LDS Film 1657584 item 8

It looks as if after having 7 children, Sarah died in 1776.

Burial: 13 Oct 1776 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Sarah Glover - Wife of Willm. Glover
    Abode: Prescot
    Register: Burials 1766 - 1809, Page 216, Entry 50
    Source: LDS Film 1657583

Children from LancsOPC
John Glover b. 1764-?
Esther Glover b. 1765-1766
Esther Glover b. 1767-? (possible 5th GGM)
Sarah Glover b. 1769-?
Mary Glover b. 1770-?
William Glover b. 1772-?
James Glover b. 1774-?

I wonder if anyone can find a re-marriage for William or provide thoughts on where I can search for further info on him or the children?

I’ve tried LancsOPC and Family Search with no luck.  I can see that there are various trees on Ancestry who have a different Esther as the child of this couple, and they could well be correct, it’s just a theory I’m exploring.  As my earlier post mentions, Esther possibly had 5 illegitimate children, amongst them a Sarah and a William, which is encouraging.

William Snr is noted as a Glazier and from Altrincham.  The marriage Banns on Ancestry, I think, show that he was son of William Glover from Bowden/Bowdon which was a village near Altrincham.  I didn’t find the record very easy to read.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Also, I have no obvious DNA Matches yet.

Thanks in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William Glover born c1740 a Glazier who resided in Prescot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
perhaps if William left a will it may name his daughters that have married as well as his sons
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 21 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Great idea Radcliff, I've checked on Ancestry's 'Wills, Probates, Land, Tax & Criminal' data set but they don't go back far enough.  Any ideas on what records might be out there and how I can access them?

I also wondered whether being a 'Glazier' at that time would be relevant.  I can understand that Glazier might refer to either working with glass itself (nearby St Helens became very big in this industry with Pilkington's and Triplex) or might it be Glazing pottery, which along with watchmaking, was quite an industry in and around Prescot.  I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on that.

Thanks for your interest, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I’ve looked at the Lancashire Wills index which shows the wills proved in Lancashire before 1858 and there is none for a William Glover glazier in Prescot around the relevant time.

My understanding of a glazier is that it is someone who fits the glass into the frame.

Perhaps he moved elsewhere or back to his home village. He does seem a mystery. Have you found any marriages for his children?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel

Thanks for looking for a possible Will.  I had hoped that someone could suggest another resource that might have different records, but I'll keep searching and see if he likely moved somewhere else and the Will is available.

Thanks for the advice to look at marriages for the children.  Easier if they stayed in the area as LancsOPC is a very helpful site, not so easy if they moved.  However, with the eldest being only 12 at the time of the mother's death,  if Wm had a good trade and maybe a Glazing Premises, I wonder whether he would just up and move rather than re-marry and stay put.

I'll do some research on the leads that the Ancestry Tree's offer and see if I can verify any of the Children's marriages.

I wonder if he would likely be on a Trade Directory, so I'll try and research that too.  I haven't done much searching on Newspapers, but that might be an avenue as well.

stay safe.  Kit