Author Topic: George Calder of Dunnet  (Read 9694 times)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Calder of Dunnet
« on: Thursday 21 January 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the death of George Calder, father of James Traill Calder.  He was at varying times a gardener, farmer and innkeeper in the Dunnet/Olrig/Castletown area.  I am hoping that it would give me his age at death.

I know he married his 2nd wife, Henrietta Bain in 1809, they had a son Marcus in 1810, and a 2nd son Peter Anderson in 1816.  In 1841 Henrietta is running a farm in Dunnet, and is a widow.

ScotlandsPeople have no deaths in the timeframe 1816-1841 for Caithness.  Are there any other sites that I can look at?

Thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Calder of Dunnet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 21 22:42 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Henrietta is running a farm in Dunnet, and is a widow.

Unless the Scottish 1841 is different to the English one - marital status is not shown

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »

Unless the Scottish 1841 is different to the English one - marital status is not shown

Yes, I admit that.  I am basing my statement on the fact that I know (from his son Peter Anderson Calder's obituary in 1889) that George was a farmer at Ha' of Dunnet.  In the 1841 Henrietta Calder is living at Ha' of Dunnet, and her occupation is Farmer.  George is not with her, and I am making the (possibly incorrect) assumption that as she is not listed as "Farmer's wife" that he is dead.  He may not be, but I was hoping if I could find some records of deaths in that time I might be able to confirm whether he is dead or just missing!  :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Henrietta died 1867 aged 86 so born around 1781 mmn was Gunn

When I search SP for male Calder deaths in Caithness between 1810-1841 - it shows no results.  Even using just christian name George shows nothing. 

I do not beiieve that in 31 years nobody called George died in the whole of Caithness ???  Suspect there are records missing
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archives has -
DEATHS. At Dunnet, on the ultimo, Mr George Calder,the 38th year of his aiğe
Friday 01 January 1841.

The headers aren't always accurate , you would need to view the full article.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
There was a Daug also bapt 25 Apr 1814 (birth 17 April 1814) Jane Mary Traill Calder.

Strange as FreeREG has George as a Bachelor when he married Miss Henrietta Bain 1809.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks ev, I checked on BNA and the report also says he was 38 years old.  I think that he was the son of George Calder and his first wife, b 1803.

I found that daughter late last night trish, thank you.  She married a Mr Begg, so I will be having a look at her descendants today to see if any of them are a match.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for a possible remaining gravestone for George and his wives?

I see there is one remaining gravestone for the son Peter you mentioned www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestones/corsback/40600015.jpg

See index here www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestones/index.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 January 21 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Monica - I have looked at a number of gravestone sites but haven't found one for George or either of his wives - yet!  Will keep browsing and maybe something will come up.  Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.