Author Topic: (canonbie)whos the mummy ??? little wilson nixon cunlough cunlos cunliffe murray  (Read 940 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: (canonbie)whos the mummy ??? little wilson nixon cunlough cunlos cunliffe murray
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 01:28 GMT (UK) »
margaret murray mother of elisabeth cunlos (cunliffe or cunlough) is also the mother of Mary Wilson
mother of elizabeth nixon (but no birth record)

is it possable  that elisabeth cunlough is elizabeth nixon  and not her niece as  in my tree

if so why other than marriage (which i cant find) would or could a woman change her surname

It seems very likely the 2 Elizabeth' are the same woman.

It was common for illegitimate children to use their fathers' surname & was common for unmarried women to assume the surname of a partner.

There was no law on using whatever name you wanted to be known by.

I have a few of the above.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (canonbie)whos the mummy ??? little wilson nixon cunlough cunlos cunliffe murray
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 06:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this helps or hinders your answers to the above question but i have the following Murray line that may or may not fit the picture but has Murrays and Littles from the same general area.
James Murray.b.1594.m.Catherine Kerr
James Murray.b.1621Newcastleton.m.Helen Elliott.
Adam Murray.bc.1663.m.Margaret Beattie
James Murray.b.1690.Newcastleton.m.Jean Little..b.1699Canonbie
Adam Murray.b.1727Deadwater.mc1.1761Deadwater.Margaret Hutton.mc2.1788.Elizabeth Beattie
John Murray.b.1779.Blinkbonny.m.m1.1801.Sorby Janet Little.m2.1806.Ewes.Ester Cowan.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.