Author Topic: Blagdon  (Read 706 times)

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blagdon
« on: Friday 22 January 21 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I have tried for over fifteen years to get back further than my gt. grandfather John William Dyer frustratingly so. He was born about 1843 and on the census says birth Devon sometimes putting Blagdon and another Bishops Hull.  I won't go into to much detail with my searches but today I found a Blagdon village Haines Hill Middleway Taunton and it is near Bishops Hull.  Looking into it there is a church named St Andrews.  Does anybody have any idea as to whether there are any baptism records for there. I haven't found him on the Bishops Hull baptisms which I looked at a few years ago. If there are baptisms for St Andrews I doubt as to whether I will find him there but it is worth a try.  This must be the area as my grandmother came from Taunton.  He may not have been baptised I know and looking at the registered births may not have been registered plus if he was without a middle name.  All this I have looked into.  Have I finally cracked where he originated !! I do hope so.

Crafty P

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blagdon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The Blagdon I know lies between Weston-Super-Mare and Bristol.
This parish has a church, St Andrew.

As a North Somerset lad, this is the Blagdon I know.
Hadn't heard of another near Taunton?

Aah!
" Blagdon Village is a tight-knit community for the over 60's. Set in the sought after area of Haines Hill, around a mile from the centre of Taunton, a distinct sense of peace and tranquility surrounds..."
Seems to be a more modern Retirement Village?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Who is he with on census as a boy?

Just going to mention the Bishops Hull baptisms online but see you have already looked  :(

Long shot but what about any marriages for Dyer in that area or any other births that could be siblings?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Aha again!

The village of Blagdon Hill was renamed from just Blagdon, to distinguish it from Blagdon in North Somerset.

It is a part of the parish of Pitminster, and has as it's parish church St Mary & St Andrew.
Transcripts of parish registers are available via GenUKI:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Pitminster#ChurchRecords
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Ooh good find and it has Dyer persons on there.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this birth/marriage is worth a look

Mar 1843 Taunton

- Dyer male mothers maiden name Hartnall

Marriage Jun 1841 Taunton

James Dyer
Mary Hartnall

Don't think it's your chap  :-\
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Blagdon Hill is just a couple of miles from the Devon border.
Nearest Devon parish is Churchstanton, which switched to Somerset in 1896 ;D

Maybe this is the cause of the confusion?

Depending on where the family actually lived, the church at Churchstanton (St Paul) may have been closer than the church at Pitminster?

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for trying to help me but I think this man will remain a mystery.  The name Hartnell sounded familiar so last night I rummaged through my papers and in 2007 I had sent for the male birth 1843 where the mothers maiden name was Hartnell, fathers name James.  This led me to send for the marriage certificate and James and Mary wed 1841.  I have never found Johns baptism but I do know they had a daughter Elizabeth Ann baptised 1844 St Mary Magdalene.  Looking last night there is no sign of a son born before Elizabeth on the 1851 census.  There is a John William b1845 Plymouth area but I don't think it is him.  The problem is John and Ellen my gt.grandparents never married which makes it awkward.

The Pitminster baptisms were interesting but no John William I'm afraid. These Dyers could be related somehow.

While writing this I have just looked on the BMD site and a male child was buried March Q Taunton district 1943.  That must be James and Marys baby so I can forget about that family. 

Anyway thankyou all for trying to help.  I shall have to put him to one side again for a while and come back again sometime in the future like my other brick walls which we all come across at times.

CraftyP

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 January 21 19:18 GMT (UK) »
<The Pitminster baptisms were interesting but no John William I'm afraid. These Dyers could be related somehow. >

Having lived my childhood in Wellington, Blagdon is the one nearby, part of Pitminster. You don't say how old your John William is on the 1851 census - but could he be either the John born to William (labourer) and Elizabeth in 1833 baptised in Pitminster Independant Chapel (and called William as a second forename after his father, but not recorded) or the William born to William (innkeeper) and Elizabeth in 1833 baptised in the CofE church, and called John William but not recorded as such by an error of the vicar's/clerk's? - in which case he was one of 3 children baptised on the same day belonging to the same parents (not necessarily triplets!). Who else is on that census (sorry I haven't access to look for myself at the moment)? If John William is only aged about 8 on the census surely his parents are named? Are you sure it's not 18, for instance? Perhaps I haven't followed the thread correctly...
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen