Author Topic: CLARK - Marriage Lookups & Possibly Death Lookups  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK - Marriage Lookups & Possibly Death Lookups
« Reply #108 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
So, here's the other query.

Eliza Clark, one of the daughters of William Clark, also had another son, Eric Clark, who died in 1911, when he was 8 years old.  His Death Printout confirms that Eliza was his mother.  However, I have not been able to find a birth record for him at all, which I find unusual. 

Reply:    Wasn't this child born out of wedlock ?    Then it's probably not so unusual that there's no (obvious) birth registration for him.  You have the name of his father from the court session (1903) where Eliza made application for maintenance costs.
*   Have you maybe checked for a baptism record  ?
*   Have you ever found this child's name on school records ?

---------------------------------------------

If that record is nowhere to be found, is it possible that the same situation might have occurred for Lilian Clark? 

Reply  :   
Yes, it's always possible.

*  Have you also searched the microfiche records for New Zealand Births (at a library or other repository which has these ) ?  Ideally there should be a record on the  NZBDM  online index / and the NZ Births version at ancestry.com - but it's important too to check the microfiche Birth Index as well.

*  Have you ever found a "Lilian CLARK" in school records, who belongs to your family ?? 
[If not, then it would seem most unusual, that where there are both birth and school records for supposed siblings, one "child" has missed being recorded in each of these. ]

-------------------------------------------------

Are there births in New Zealand that records are not available for?
Reply :  Yes.
-----------------------------------

In such situations, are there any techniques one can employ to find 'lost' or incorrectly entered birth records when you don't have a specific date of birth?
Reply :  Check online, I'm sure there are plenty of helpful articles available on the subject .

~  Lu

I've entered replies to questions ^ within the body of your post :

Thank you again!

Re Eric

1.  Yes, Eric was born out of wedlock, but so was the son Eliza had in 1896 (Albert) and his birth was registered.  Hence why I found it unusual that Eric's birth wasn't, or doesn't appear to be.
2.  No, I have not checked for a baptism record, as not sure where I would go to do so for New Zealand baptisms.
3.  I have not as yet searched for him on school records.  Thank you for the reminder that I need to do so!

Re Lilian

1.  I believe that I did check the microfiche at the Hocken Library here in Dunedin for Lilian some time ago, and did not find anything definitive.  However, that was before I had this information from DNA, so another check will be in order.
2.  I have not found any local school records for Lilian, but am in the process of trying to get the Canterbury records searched.  Apparently Lilian received a wedding gift of some lovely furniture from someone who lived up that way, hence why I thought it might be worthwhile searching in that area as well.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2, I received the Marriage Prinout for Nellie Clark and James Campbell Smith a short while ago, and can confirm that Nellie is a daughter of William Clark and Emma Keen.  Like her death record however, she has used a different age, as she was actually 29 when she married, but on the printout her age is 27.  Husband was 25, so maybe she lowered her age a little for him.  So, back to the drawing board re finding Lilian!  A descendant of one of Emma's daughters she had before marrying William Clark has taken a DNA test for me, so that we can either confirm or otherwise whether or not my Lilian is a daughter of William AND Emma's.  It's possible that she was a daughter of William's and someone else, or even a granddaughter.  A definite and strong DNA connection to William though.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2

Another update.  I went to the Hocken Library today in search of Birth records for both Eric and Lilian, and fortunately, I was able to find Eric's one on the microfiche.  No luck with Lilian though, and have been in contact with BDM to see if they can look into why Eric's birth record isn't showing at their end.