Author Topic: Manchester Evacuee to Uttoexter  (Read 306 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manchester Evacuee to Uttoexter
« on: Friday 22 January 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

My father (Derrick Carter) often talked about his evacuation in 1939 from city centre Manchester to the countryside. He managed to recall that this was to somewhere in Staffordshire. I have now found him in the 1939 Register living in Rocester, Uttoexter. The family he is living with are James W Allardice (born 1897) and his wife Beatrice Ann. I would love to know more about this family and the area as he said they were very kind to him and it made a lasting good impression.
Thanks,
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Evacuee to Uttoexter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Not very clear exactly what you want to know about them.  You would need to find somebody who actually knew them personally & over 70yrs have now elapsed??

Use Google to find info about Rocester

The following info is available online

Per freebmd James & Beatrice married in 1921 and only appear to have had one child - a son born 1921 who died 1986. www.freebmd.org.uk

James was born in Glasgow 1898 - see www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

James White Allardice died 1972 & Beatrice Ann in 1983.  Both left wills

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Use freebmd to find the son’s marriage & any children as you are really looking at finding grandchildren who knew them

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Evacuee to Uttoexter
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I realise that I was looking for people who would have been children or grandchildren of the family. Perhaps I hoped that there may be a link to information about who was evacuated to the area and what they did whilst there.
I will try the local library service when things get back to normal.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.