Author Topic: Elijah Cumming born Forbes  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elijah Cumming born Forbes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Fisher Street, Dennistoun adjoins Dunchattan Street & are next to Tennents Brewery so maybe a relative working there as a cooper?
 The Dunchattan Arms.

https://oldglasgowpubs.com/dunchattan-arms

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:20 GMT (UK) »
An Interesting reading
Thank you
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Another thought I have had would Elijah have to go to court to change his name to Cumming or in those days would the family just tell him and change it themselves

This family is bugging me as another sister Isabella Forbes  had an illegitimate baby a little girl I've not started to search her yet

Something to do in lockdown that's bugging me too not being able to go out but its best being safe
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Another thought I have had would Elijah have to go to court to change his name to Cumming or in those days would the family just tell him and change it themselves
No. Many illegitimate children are sometimes recorded by their father's name and sometimes by their mother's, and when he grew up it was up to him to decide what name he wanted to use.

Under Scots law you can call yourself any name you like (apart from a few obvious exceptions, such as obscenities) provided you do not do so with intent to defraud. But in this day and age I think it would be very difficult to change the name you are known by without some sort of legal document.

See https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/family/birth-certificates-and-changing-your-name-s/changing-your-name-s/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:16 GMT (UK) »

I was going through old papers and found I had Elijah in 1911 census from Scotlandpeople the very last person on the page
there are 4 living in the house and he is the Head he is 32 and a Gardner born Latheron Caithness the house he is living in is 186,Fisher Street Dennstoun Glasgow
I purchased this document on 10th February 2019 so I'm too late in asking for the next page I have done this before but at the same time of the order

Will there be any record anywhere else
Elizabeth

Unfortunately, there will be no other record except what is available through SP. It is a pain when a household entry runs over to the next page. When this happens, you do need to purchase the next page if you are looking to see who else is part that household. You might find if you look at it on your saved images on SP, you may have the option to buy the next page/image this way. Normally a button shows for this above the image you are looking at.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk