Author Topic: Ramsey christenings?  (Read 542 times)

Offline islandmaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ramsey christenings?
« on: Friday 22 January 21 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for a christening in Ramsey of an Eliza Edwards, father John born about 1824.  Would anyone have any info or is my only option to contact the archives?
Thanks for any help,
Lorna
Researching: Channel Islands, Cornwall, Sussex

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsey christenings?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Family Search has an Elizabeth Edwards, daughter of John Edwards, baptised in Little Stukely 13 July 1838.  She married Joseph Slade 14 Aug 1859 Gt Stukely.  This is the closest to the information you gave that I could find. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 21 12:15 GMT (UK) »
There was an Elizabeth Edwards, daughter of John, who married Frederick Squires Briggs in Huntingdon in 1848.

In 1851 she gave her birth place as Little Stukeley. Trees have her as born 1827, daughter of John Edwards and Sarah Childs.

The only other clue is of a Mary Ann Edwards, daughter of John and Mary of Ramsey, who was born on 7th September 1828 and baptised a Wesleyan Methodist in Huntingdon on 24th July 1831.

There was a John Edwards and Miria/Miriah/ in Ramsey from 1841-1881. From the GRO index, her birth name was Stokes bit I can't find a marriage.

David

P.S. - I found the marriage but it was 1836, so John may have been married before - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Edwards-24802

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Just to correct my earlier post - the Elizabeth Edwards I mentioned was baptised in 1828.  Couldn't read my own writing, sorry. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline islandmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies.  The Eliza Edwards I'm looking for married John Austin in 1844 in Ramsey and consistently states she was born there.  I was hoping someone might have copied the Ramsey registers, something that I'd do if I had the chance.  It appears to one of the few places where the Christening records are only in the archives!
Thanks again
Lorna

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 21 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Go to the site freereg for ramsey.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
One tree has Eliza's parents as John Edwards and Mary Greenwood. There is a marriage in Ramsey on 16th October 1811 of John Edwards of Whittlesey to Mary Greenwood.

There was a marriage of William Greenwood to Susanna Butcher on Ramsey in 1821. They had children baptised as Wesleyan Methodists in Huntingdon.

in 1841 Mary Edwards, born 1796, was living with Samuel Edwards b 1821.

1n 1851 Samuel was living as the brother of Daniel and Jane Sinclair, together with niece, Mary Ann Austin.

In 1835 Jane Edwards married Daniel Sinclair.

This could suggest that Jane, Eliza, Mary Ann, and Samuel Edwards were siblings, and children of John and Mary.

Unfortunately, only the baptism of Mary Ann has come to light. She married George Garner in 1849.

David

Offline islandmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Unfortunately Ramsey christenings are not covered by Freereg, checked, even using just a first name (tried Mary the common name!)
Thanks David, I have that research and I going with that for now,
Lorna