Author Topic: Mary Tinline death in Haddington  (Read 862 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Mary Tinline death in Haddington
« on: Friday 22 January 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I`ve spent this afternoon unsuccessfully searching for the death of Mary Tinline in Haddington. In her lifetime she had 4  different surnames and I`ve tried them all.

This is what I have.

Mary Johnston born (illegitimate) Hawick in 1900, mother`s name Mary Johnston.

Mary Scott married James L Graham in 1920 at Galashiels, father`s name William Scott , mother Mary Scott ms Johnston.(they married 1905)

Mary Graham (widow) married John Tinline in 1927 at Edinburgh.

William Scott died 1942 and Mary Scott died 1949 both at Haddington, informant on both was John Tinline.

John Tinline died 1980 at Haddington.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Tinline death in Haddington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is relevant but Mary Scott or Park, mother's surname Johnstone, died in Edinburgh in 1977 aged 76.

Mary Scott T Scott married Archibald G Park in Carnwath in 1968.

This would only work of course if John Tinline and Mary were divorced between 1949 and 1968. If so, there should be a record in the Register of Corrected Entries, and a note in the left-hand column of the 1927 marriage certificate to that effect.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou ! What quick work!!

I`ll take a look at the marriage cert.

I thought I had the image saved on my computer. I`m waiting for SP to update my account with new credits !!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
It`s surpising what a night`s sleep does! I remembered in the early hours that this marriage was one I wrote down in a notebook.

The date was 24th December 1927, all the information is correct, one of the witnesses was a relative of Mary`s stepfather.

Then something I`ve not come across before, in the right hand column, it says Warrant subsitute 31st December 1927.

There`s nothing written in the left hand column.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Then something I`ve not come across before, in the right hand column, it says Warrant subsitute 31st December 1927.
That means that instead of being married by a clergyman they got married by declaration before witnesses. If you chose that method you then had get a warrant from the sheriff(-substitute) in order to be able to have the marriage registered. Basically, you and your witnesses went to the sheriff and you said that you had declared yourselves married, and the witnesses corroborated that, and you got the warrant. Then you went to the registrar to register the marriage, and you got your marriage certificate. Marriage by declaration was superseded in about 1930-something by marriage by the Registrar.

There`s nothing written in the left hand column.
That ought to mean that they didn't get divorced in Scotland.

I think you'll need to wait until after Covid-19 and you can find out whether the 1968 marriage or the 1977 death is your Mary Scott.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I`ve taken a look at Mary`s marriage to James Graham; she was Mary J ( may have been for Johnston, no other forename on birth) I can see now that I misread James R as James L.

I have the muddle of that on this thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776500.msg6597992#msg6597992

The short answer is that I still cannot find a death (or divorce)  for James in Scotland.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 21 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for your help.

I did another search today and I`ve found her !!!! I didn`t put in any age range but it`s definitely her.

James R Graham listed as husband 1 and then John Tinline, mother correct and William Scott although he was her stepfather ( or was he, but that`s another story)

It was in 1960, well within my time but I can`t remember my mother talking about it; as Mary died of Motor Neurone Disease my mother might not have been able to explain it to us.

The death/divorce of James Graham still eludes me.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 January 21 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at and discounted this death?

JAMES GRAHAM
Age 25
667/ 34
Kirkliston

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 January 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have ! It`s the wrong mother and father though, and age wise it fits.

Sadly, this James Graham was a railway guard who was run over by a train. "My" James was a Woollen mill worker.