Author Topic: Mitchell  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell
« on: Saturday 23 January 21 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
            trying to trace a Winifred Mitchell born 1815 ish Guilka Galway she married James Reilly, I have got this information from a distant cousins tree through the DNA on Ancestry so don't have anything concrete to go on so I am hoping to find a wedding cert or something like  that . Hoping that she is a relation to my Mitchells who came from the same area. Forgot to say they had a son called Michael born abt 1834.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline GalwayRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My mother was a mitchell but also in this case her grandmother was a Reilly thus James Reilly being my 4th Great Grandfather, Michael being the son.
Glad to help in anyway.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 23 21:36 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can we have some dates to go with your text and some idea of places?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline GalwayRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
More details as follows:
James Reilly 1812 Guilka, Menlough Galway married Winifred mitchell.
Michael Reilly 1834-1894 married Mary Fahy and had 10 kids and approx 100 grandkids.
Most of Michaels kids moved to New Jersey. Full tree is public in Ancestry.

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 23 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Not quite the same part of Galway  I’ve been researching Mitchells, quite a few town lands over, but just to note that a lot of families in the area were Irish speaking or not long since Irish speaking, so the actual name some would have used in speaking (not written) would be Maolmhichil sometimes anglicised Mulvihil rather than “translated” to Mitchell. Might help in case you are getting older parish records etc to check that surname too.