Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann Donkin born Newcastle c. 1865  (Read 787 times)

Online bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann Donkin born Newcastle c. 1865
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »

For interest, on the marriage of Robert Wilson FORSTER and Isabella DONKIN it has her father as George DONKIN, filemaker (on FreeReg)

That's great! Never knew it was on FreeReg!
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
John - re the marriage for George Donkin and Mary Laing, unfortunately I don't have the actual certificate so I don't know what his father's occupation was, but from censuses, it was chain maker.

Yes I have all the children to George Donkin and Mary Jane Straker.

Actually I'm not entirely certain that William Donkin was born in York, but I have found a 1851 census that could be him in Durham, born York, mother Ann born Derby, which matches the marriage I have in Derbyshire for his parents (George Donkin  and Ann Maddocks). Haven't found him in 1861 and nothing after 1871. I assume he died between then and 1881, as his son George was living with his aunt and uncle (Mary Jane Straker died 1872).

The reason I'm not certain William was born in York is because his son George in 1881 is with Robert and Isabella Forster (nee Donkin), born Durham. George is listed as nephew but I can't find a connection between him and Isabella.

I have previously asked about this supposed connection and William Donkin, born York, quite a few years ago here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758817.0

Still none the wiser as to how they're related. Isabella has a brother William who never married and occupation chain maker, same as George Donkin's father, also William. This is what makes it very confusing. Not sure where the connection comes from.

Thank you all for your help so far
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate of William Donkin & Mary Jane Straker? If so what details do they give please.

John

Online bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Not on hand, no, I gave it to my grandparents. The only details I wrote down about the certificate was that they were married at a register office in Newcastle, both were living in Elswick Street at the time and that William's father's occupation was engine fitter.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
If his fathers name is George on the marriage cert, then the William born York in 1843 is likely the right one as this George Duncan, or George Sedgewick Duncan on some records, was an Engine Fitter.

Can't see any connection between the two Duncan/Donkin families, other than a lady who fits the bill for being  William born York's mother appears to be living in Winlaton in the same house as William Donkin in 1861, the unmarried Chain Maker from 1871 and 81.

1861 census Winlaton.
Ann Donkin, wid, 36, b Derby, Derbyshire
William Donkin, son, Unm, 37, Blacksmith, b. Winlaton

I'm wondering if there was some confusion, William can't be Ann's son, so maybe there was another William Donkin in the household who actually was her son.

I can't find this Ann after 1861, but there is a death of an Ann Donkin aged 38, Sep qtr 1861, Gateshead, so that could be her.

George Duncan married Ann Maddocks in Derby 1841, George an Iron Turner, as was his father William.

In 1841 census in Derby, William is an Engineer, George is a Fitter, whole family Not Born in County. George Duncan baptized Tynemouth 1823, son of William Sedgewick Duncan and Mary Ann McIntosh. All of his brothers and sisters were baptized in the Tynemouth and Longbenton area.

William Sedgewick Duncan, born Longbenton 1795, son of George Duncan and Mary Sedgewick.

In 1851, Ann Donkin, 27, born Derby City, and son William, 8, born York City, are in Stockton on Tees. William Sedgewick Duncan and family have also moved to Stockton on Tees.

A George Sedgewick Duncan, assumed father of the William born York, can be traced through to 1881, with a new wife Martha/Margaret Brown, can't find a marriage for them, and daughter Mary, b. 1850 Lancaster. Working as an Engine Fitter in 1861 and 1881.

So the connection is maybe that Williams mother Ann, from Derby, was living as common law wife of William Donkin of Winlaton, and the surname was just a coincidence. That would make George in 1881 census the Step Great Nephew of Robert and Isabella Forster, or something like that.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Online bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 21 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan, that's fantastic!

The 1861 census - I saw that and just assumed it was a typo for Ann's age. I looked at the original some time ago but the age is not that clear to read.

Also thank you for the extra info on George Sedgwick Duncan. I remember that name kept popping up in my searches but never really looked into him.