Author Topic: Staveley family of KIrkburn  (Read 580 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Staveley family of KIrkburn
« on: Sunday 24 January 21 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my family back to Isaac Staveley born@1718, and have all relevant details about his wife and children .
However I am struggling with his parents. There are a number of trees on Ancestry that consider his parents to be Robert Staveley b1673 in Millington and mother Frances Harrison.
There is also a Robert Staveley born@1682 marrying Elizabeth Jefferson in Lund on 19 Sept 1703 which seems to be a better fit. His age is shown on the banns application, but I can't find a relevant birth/baptism. Can anyone help?  Justification for either couple would be great !!
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staveley family of KIrkburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Ruth
Doesn’t look like you are getting much help, and I am afraid I only have a little glimmer for you.  I may have Frances Harrison on my tree.  I had some Harrison research passed to me many moons ago.  She looks to be about the correct age and is in the correct area, but looking closely at the dates of parents/sibings I think there may be a bit of a mix-up. This is the information I was given:
Generation No. 1
1.   JONATHAN HARRISON of Tibthorpe, East Yorkshire was born about 1633.  He died in March 1681.  He married ELIZABETH DEALTERY on 1 July 1656 at Fangfoss, East Yorkshire.
Generation No.2
   Children of JONATHAN and ELIZABETH HARRISON1 are:
i.   RICHARD HARRISON, baptism not traced.  He was buried on 18 June 1731 at Kirkburn, East Yorkshire.  He married on 14 August 1681 at Bainton, East Yorkshire to ANN BOWSER. 
ii.   JOHN HARRISON, baptism not traced. 
iii.   FRANCES HARRISON, baptism not traced. 
iv.   ELIZABETH HARRISON, baptism not traced.
v.   JONATHAN HARRISON2, baptised on 6 April 1689 at Kirkburn, East Yorkshire.  Buried on 11 August 1679 at Kirkburn, East Yorkshire.

I will take a look at these and see if I find anything that may help you, but as I only have Ancestry and freebees I am not too hopeful.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. I have tried to follow up and look at the Harrisons in more detail (Can't think why I didn't consider doing this before your suggestion! :))
I have FindMyPast as well as Ancestry but once I started I managed to confuse myself even more.
The only Frances I can find are
a) Jonathan's (b @1687) wife who he married in 1717. She was Frances Newlove from Wetwang (aged 22) She dies in1736.
b) Frances Wife of Richard who died in 1738
c) Fran Harrison wife of Steven died 1697

Assuming Stephen may be another son of Jonathan (and Elizabeth ) they may have had a daughter Frances given naming traditions, but there wouldn't seem to be a baptism record.

Looking at all the baptisms available (FindMyPast has original PRs ) it looks like there were two Stephens, and two Richard Harrisons all from Tibthorpe and all baptising children between 1680 and 1700

I think I will have to consider this a brick wall for now. If you want any data for your Harrison branch let me know!

I might just have a look at the Jeffersons in more detail , maybe the answer is with them!

Thanks
Ruth
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Ruth
I was just looking back over some of my research.  This is Bishops Transcript of Kirkburn register for 1736 showing the marriage of my 5xg grandparents Wm Beilby and Ann Graves.  Only 3 marriages - another Beilby and a Staveley, what a coincidence.  Unfortunately not the one you are looking for, but strangely his wife is also called Frances. 
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire