Author Topic: Sundridge Work House/Hospital  (Read 633 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Sundridge Work House/Hospital
« on: Sunday 24 January 21 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My relative (Elizabeth Ellen Fullagar) died in Sundridge workhouse/hospital (I'm not sure whether it was still a work house when she died) in 1940.  I have been told that she was buried in the grounds on the work house and found a piece on line which said residents could be interned in the graveyard attached to the workhouse.

I cant find any record of a burial and I understand the site has been redeveloped now, so am wondering what became of the graveyard and whether anyone knows where I could find burial records?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Shw777

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sundridge Work House/Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
I’ve recently n doing some research in this area and had the following info given to me:
“The old burial ground north of the old hospital is still there and open to the public (I believe). I’m not aware of any head stones in there but there is a central stone with some writing on it. There is a gate off Church road opposite where Penn Lane meets Church road, in Sundridge. It’s within the wooded area 50yds from the road in the middle of a field. The gate into the area is actually on the opposite side to church road but the fence is post and rail so easy to climb through. Hope that helps. Please be aware the fields around the area are privately owned, but I am almost certain that access has to be maintained within a building covenant/condition or similar, may be by permission only. The management (committee of residents) at the old hospital (Birchfields) are very approachable.”

Hope this helps