Author Topic: Sydney Thomas Pease b 1870 Bethnal Green  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Diana Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Thomas Pease b 1870 Bethnal Green
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi - my documentation shows there is only one Sydney Thomas PEASE - the one born in Bethnal Green in 1869. He married Ettie Margaret ROSE in 1894. They had two children, Henry Valentine PEASE and another one (who is shown as having died on the 1911 census). He then had a relationship with Lilian HART (stage name Lilian LLOYD) from 1904 to 1910, resulting in at least two children, Sybil and Constance. Ettie divorced him in 1915 and he then married Morval WILLIS and they had a son. Cheers!

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
By the time Cockneyrebel called time on this thread I was convinced there was only one Sydney Thomas Pease but I did carry on researching (for my own curiosity) and I there was additional info that supported that (various family members being connected to the same addresses/pubs/hotels).

It's nice to know a bit more about Lilian, as she had stumped me somewhat.

Also, I did come across the following newspaper item that has a great photo Sydney.

Derby Daily Telegraph
03 June 1932
A Derby Man's Diary
An Old Stage Hand
Mr Sydney T Pease
- produced and played in many cities in
- Far East, South Africa, America and Egypt
- first to produce Bernard Shaw plays in India
- also appeared in musical comedies including:
- The Merry Widow, The Dollar Princess, The Country Girl and The Little Maids
- intended for the Navy,
- Mr Pease entered the mercantile marine as a cadet
- and served his apprenticeship in a sailing vessel
- and obtained his second mate's certificate
- then came the call of the footlights
- but he has told me that his heart is
- still with those who go down to the sea

https://postimg.cc/N5bMjm81
(RC doesn't allow attached images on Lookup Request boards so I'm using external image host)
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 12 April 21 09:04 BST (UK) »
I passed your last 2 bits of information and link to my cousin and he replied:

there are 2 Sydney Pease one just Sydney and the other Sydney Thomas Pease, mine was born in Bethnal Green the other in Darlington Yorkshire but moved to London.
The picture is very interesting, but it refers to a Derby man and in shipping.  No trace of Derby or Shipping in mine so will look but think this is just another one for the mix.
Also, the Ettie ref is marriage to the other Pease, not mine. We could NOT find any marriage of Pease to Morval Willis who is the correct mother of my uncle as he has the Christian name of WILLIS.

Diana do you have any details of the 1915 marriage as nobody else could find it. ??

Cr

Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
Your cousin has misread that. A Derby Man's Diary is simply the name of the newspaper column, which has an item about Sydney T Pease, a producer and actor. And the reference to a marine apprenticeship does tally with an apprentice record that looks very much like Sydney Thomas Pease, born c1870 in London.

Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910
name: Sydney Thos Pease
date of indenture: 13 Jul 1887
date indenture expires: 1891
port of enrolment: London
name of person bound to: Wright & Breakenridge

Image of full article:
https://postimg.cc/bdQG90mc
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
cuffie81, I've again passed your comments on to my cousin, so we will see.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 17 April 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
There is still some confusion about the 2 Sydney Pease's, the one who married Ettie Rose is not the one my cousin is searching for. He wants to find the one who married Morval Mary Willis?
Cr

Offline Diana Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Diana do you have any details of the 1915 marriage as nobody else could find it. ??

Cr
[/quote]

Hi I've been taking a closer look at the divorce of Sydney and Ettie. The Decree Nisi was granted on 2 May 1916, therefore after the birth of Cyril. Then the King's Proctor got involved in the divorce (details not given but maybe because there was collusion between Ettie and Sydney in order to get the divorce as a "Poor Person" (i.e. an early legal aid scheme)) - and the Decree Absolute was not granted and the petition was denied. Therefore I don't think that Sydney and Ettie were ever actually divorced and therefore the reason why we can't find a marriage certificate for Sydney and Morval is that there wasn't one.....