Author Topic: looking for james arthur lyons  (Read 601 times)

Offline Carol Carmen Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
looking for james arthur lyons
« on: Tuesday 26 January 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
james arthur Lyons (how he came to be in south Africa is still a mystery) married Julia Jessie MUIR(1852-1941)  in 1873 in south africa.  she was born in Scotland and died in Uitenhage, south africa 1941.

The mystery is that there are 2 James Lyons but unrelated to the other. information on the web pages  follow the james arthur lyons 1848-1898 but is not part of this history.

The one I am looking for joins into the SLATER RUDMAN tree that I am working on.
Julia Jessie Muir/Lyons son married into the SLATER family to her daughter johanna Catharine SLATER.

hope there is someone who can help me.

thanks
Carol dunn(Rudman )

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for james arthur lyons
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
You may have these records already but  there are lots of records on www.familysearch.org for Lyons/Slater/Rudman combinations.
Bit unsure whom you are looking for specifically, it seems a bit confusing,  but they might help. Apologies If you have this info already .
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 07:14 GMT (UK) »
done search all over including family search.
LOOKING SPECIFICALLY for a JAMES ARTHUR LYONS who married into the SLAYTER family.
The other James Arthur Lyons 1848 WHO MARRIED Bridget Dwyer in Ireland,  who came to Kimberley in South Africa,is not the one in family search that I am looking for.  I made up a family tree of all his family etc and no link so far to my JAMES ARTHUR LYONS.
thanks
Carol

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Carol, I still don’t understand.

Do you mean that you are looking for him prior to SA, as in you don’t think he was born there?

The son:

LYONS James Arthur to SLATER Johanna Catharina 6 Nov 1900 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91M-BS9H-3?i=671

Julia Jessie Muir/Lyons son married into the SLATER family to her daughter johanna
Catharine SLATER

Are you saying that her son married her daughter, as in his sister?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
julia jessie MUIR  was born in Scotland 1852 and died in 1941 in Uitenhage, South Africa.
James Arthur SLATER  married her here in south africa in 1873 and lived here forever.
have no details on James prior to his arrival in  south africa and information on death said he came from Canada but not much to prove as no documents that I can find to prove or disprove.

hope this helps
thanks
Carol

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would like to help but am a bit confused.

A marriage on 11 April 1893 between Gerhardus Jacobus Rudman (age 22) and Jessie Julia Lyons (age 19) at Uitenhage, Ellisras, Transvaal, South Africa. The consent for the marriage is given by the mother of the bride Jessie Julia Lyons - the father being dead. Is this part of your tree?

Alternatively is this the correct family -

Baptism of Jessy Johanna Lyons on 4 April 1907 (birth 18 March 1907) - daughter of James Arthur Lyons and Johanna Catherine - Jansenville, Cape Province, South Africa. Fathers occupation - Constable.

If you could specifically set out the family line it might help.

Alan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a death record for James Arthur Lyons? if so, when did he die and how old was he?
If he was born in Canada it will be difficult to search records without more information. Each Canadian Province kept it's own records and most did require civil registration of births that early.

Have you tried looking for records of him as a constable? such records might list date and place of birth or at least give a better indication of how long he was in South Africa.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 21 07:39 GMT (UK) »
REPASTING HERE;
[color=red]ok this james arthur SLATER IS  the first footprint in south africa who married Julia......it is this man that is so hard to find where he actually came from......also not sure if he jumped ship maybe in australia later on as find no fixed footprint here in south africa.
[/color]
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
julia jessie MUIR  was born in Scotland 1852 and died in 1941 in Uitenhage, South Africa.
James Arthur SLATER  married her here in south africa in 1873 and lived here forever. so I think!!!!
have no details on James prior to his arrival in  south africa and information on death said he came from Canada but not much to prove as no documents that I can find to prove or disprove.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 22 17:16 GMT (UK) »
JAMES ARTHUR LYONS MARRIED JESSIE JULIA SLATER
HAVE NO FIXED BIRTH, DEATH  for LYONS and CAPE ARCHIVES FOUND NOTHING at all.
he arrived in Steytlerville in the eastern cape of South Africa and thereafter married Jessie Julia Slater. Their 1st child Henry william  Lyons was born abt 1871 and died 2 mar 1947 in eastern Cape. So their marriage must have been about that time. Their last child Amy was born 16.11.1886 and married John Albert Burke 6.11.1901. (James and Jessie had 8 children but giving time span of this relationship but no other information.)
Do not know where to look next.
Any help will do