Author Topic: Vaccination priority groups  (Read 20866 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination priority groups
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Both of our appointments were booked at the same time - 10 weeks apart.
Friends and family have experienced the same booking system so am surprised to read so many people have to book the second one separately.

I understood that if you book through the NHS website having had an NHS letter or text you can book both appointments at the same time.  My appointment was booked by my local GP surgery, they rang on the landline as they do not have my mobile number (not much point as it is generally in my handbag and turned off unless I am out of the house).  They then booked both my & my OH's appt for the same time.  On the 2nd appointment we were again seen together.

Booking my appointment through the GP the choice of centres at the time were all run by the local GP services were 3-4 miles away.  The centre offered to me by the NHS was 26 miles away.  That was in February.  The 'NHS' now have centres nearer but these have only recently opened and many younger people living near to me are being offered appointments at these sites. 

Maybe things have improved since the bulk of the over 70's were trying to get appointments, some of whom were complaining that they had to keep trying or could not get an appointment anywhere near where they lived.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Son, (38 and vulnerable group) had his jab (Pfizer) 10 weeks ago at GP, phoned to see when the next would be and was told they had no Pfizer vaccine and didnt know when they would be getting any!!

The vaccine distribution processes aim to deliver the correct amount of doses to the different locations in the most efficient way possible, whilst adhering as close as possible to the 12-week target for as many people as possible.

A GP won't have a 'stock' of Pfizer vaccine - the distribution system works out when that centre optimally needs a batch of Pfizer and notifies them of the planned delivery date in good time for appointments to be made.

So until they have been notified of that date a GP centre won't know when they are getting a batch, but they should be able to reassure patients that vaccines will be delivered when needed and they will be in touch to make an appointment nearer the time.

I understood that if you book through the NHS website having had an NHS letter or text you can book both appointments at the same time.  My appointment was booked by my local GP surgery, they rang on the landline as they do not have my mobile number (not much point as it is generally in my handbag and turned off unless I am out of the house).  They then booked both my & my OH's appt for the same time.  On the 2nd appointment we were again seen together.

Yes, exactly that. The centralised NHS system allows both 1st and 2nd bookings to be made at the same time, but is less flexible in terms of locations and doing family groups together.

The GP system has more flexibility, and access to locations the central system doesn't, but can do so mainly because the 2nd appointment isn't fixed at the start and will be made nearer the time once all the 'flexibilities' have been allowed for, and to make best use of resources.

I think it is great that we have been given the choice and it looks like it is working really well.

(a friend works in the vaccine distribution decision making system)

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Thursday 29 April 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
As a follow up to my earlier post, thank you for the advice given.

I still had heard nothing about our second AZ jabs by this morning although the12 weeks is up tomorrow. I ignored the surgery website and the recorded message saying not to contact them about vaccination. I phoned and we now have appointments for Saturday afternoon at the village hall about 5 miles away where we had our first jabs- so only a day out.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Thursday 29 April 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
I think it depends on whether you booked through your GP or through the NHS website.  In our case we were offered a date for the first jab via a phone call from our GP.  We then had to wait until we got another phone call from the GP to give us the second date.  It all seemed to depend on the general take up  and the supply of the vaccine (Pfizer) to the centre used by local GPs, in our case the local tennis centre.  We had to wait for around 10 weeks for the second jab. 

People who booked through the NHS website were given dates for both jabs straight away.  Of course, systems may have been different for each area, as seems to have happened.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Thursday 29 April 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear that you have got your appointment jesgardner  :).  Hope there are no after effects

Rosie