Author Topic: Vaccination priority groups  (Read 20889 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination priority groups
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Great news for Caroline!
Front lineworkers such as teachers and police are hugely vulnerable, and it is vile they are expected to turn up for work with no protection.
But where is the provision for the medical staff in all this?
All the same, I shall be 70 in June, and can't help feeling like I am being left out for the wolves, and the fact remains that around 75% of our 100,000+ have been in the over 65 age range.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
We had ours last week (Pfizer). We are in Grp 3 (75+) but both would have been happy to give our turn up to frontline workers*  if we'd been asked.  We don't have to put ourselves on the front line every day. They do.

* including NHS, care workers, teachers, delivery people,  etc.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I realise that for many people, vaccinating the elderly is a priority. However, I feel that perhaps the order of play is the wrong way around.

Surely the best thing for getting the country back on it's feet and industry  up and running fully would be the opposite. So all the younger age groups (under 60 say) who make up the largest proportion of the workforce should be first. Along with the keyworkers who are not in those younger age groups.

John915

Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I realise that for many people, vaccinating the elderly is a priority. However, I feel that perhaps the order of play is the wrong way around.

Surely the best thing for getting the country back on it's feet and industry  up and running fully would be the opposite. So all the younger age groups (under 60 say) who make up the largest proportion of the workforce should be first. Along with the keyworkers who are not in those younger age groups.

John915

How would that reduce overall hospital admissions and deaths which are much higher for older people especially those with certain medical conditions which are often also related to age?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

John915

Except most hospital and ICU beds are taken up by the elderly.
So even if you vaccinated the younger age groups and sent them back to work, the hospitals would still be struggling to cope.
Giving the elderly priority in vaccination is more to do with keeping them out of hospital than anything else
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ooh John you've voiced my deepest darkest fear.

As someone in group 7 I am more than a little concerned that after groups 1 to 4 have been jabbed, priorities may change and vaccinating the working population will be deemed more important than vaccinating the fit retired.

I don't have an issue with the principle but I'm getting a little fed up with the constantly changing goalposts.

In the majority of cases the vaccine will stop people getting seriously ill, but as yet none of them have been proven to stop people catching the virus and passing it on.  It worries me that a vaccinated working population will fail to maintain social distancing and my weekly trip to the supermarket will become even more stressful.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I was discussing some of the points here with my husband on our walk. He has had both vaccinations and I had my first last week.
We both agreed that it will not change the way we conduct our lives at all. We are warned after vaccination that it is not a signal to go out and be active.
I do see how dreadful it is for those who have been in their homes since March and am thankful that we can have a walk most days.
On the other hand, I am fearful for my relatives who have to go out to work each day. They need to work, they are in education, as do others to keep us safe and provide for our needs - health, police, supermarkets, refuse collectors and so on.
Whatever groups are decided, some will feel that they are being treated unfairly. I don’t know the answer.  I think I would opt for the working population, especially now as, it seems, younger people are becoming more ill with the disease.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that there is (yet, maybe never) any evidence that younger people are becoming more unwell than before when they contract the infection.

Hospital admission rates are still very low for them.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Older people have mostly followed the rules, self isolated etc to avoid catching and spreading the virus.
Not holding raves, parties, weddings with large groups of guests.
There's no doubt in my mind that vaccinating the younger population first is going to be a green light to some of them to carry on as normal and continue spreading the virus, as it appears that even when vaccinated, you can still possibly spread it.