Author Topic: William Porter of Lancashire  (Read 284 times)

Offline laballard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Porter of Lancashire
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 02:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to figure out the Father of Great Grand Aunt is.  My Great Grand Aunt is Mary Collinson, born in 1850 and christened on July 21, 1850 in Thornton, Lancashire, England.  Mary was born to Nancy Collinson (1832-1911).  Nancy was not married at the time of Mary's birth.  Nancy later married Stephen Ballard on Feb. 8, 1853.

Mary married Cornelius Fairclough on Feb. 4, 1871.  On the marriage record Mary's Father is listed as William Porter, a Farmer.  I have tried to figure out who William Porter is, but haven't found anything definitive. 

Any help on this mystery is helpful.  Thank you in advance.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Porter of Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind Mary was born in Thornton surely this must be him in 1851:

1851 Census, Poolfoot Farm, Thornton

Head is Thomas Porter  78   widower    Farmer of 75 acres    born Thornton
Son William Porter   35    Marr.             Farmers son                  ditto
sons wife Elizabeth Porter  29   Marr.                                        ditto
Thomas Fayle Porter   1                                                           ditto
plus various servants

By 1861 William and family are now at Whitesides Farm and he is a farmer of 189 acres.

William Porter married Elizabeth Bleasdale Sept.qtr.1849 Fylde and son Thomas b.Mar.1850 Fylde - mmn Bleasdale.

With just one William Porter who was a farmer in Thornton I think it a pretty good bet that this is your man.   So he had his wife and Mary's mother pregnant at the same time.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laballard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Porter of Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for helping me out with this.  I had also found that Nancy had a cousin about her age named William Porter.  Your information gives me another possibility.  Great job.