Author Topic: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Restoration please  (Read 842 times)

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Restoration please
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Good day from a balmy 35 degrees Covid free in South Island NZ.
The photo attached  of the individuals is physical size 60mm x 100mm. It's sepia. If we accept the veracity of the provider it must have been taken before 1870 - that date of the sinking mentioned below. According to the record on the back of the pic purportedly written by the uncle of the left individual, the standing lad is said to be George James ROBILLIARD, born c 1851 to Joseph Robilliard (b Guernsey) and Elizabeth Loring-Bollen (Jersey). From family history I have no doubt of the veracity.
Wreck of the HMS Captain: this lad was drowned in that calamity along with numerous fellow mariners, not that her Majesty's government would have worried, despite the protestations of her sadness.
I would like to verify the "uniform" the lads are wearing.
I know there was quite an enquiry after this sinking. Any further information will be gratefully received. The photo is atrocious, I'm sorry. Disregard all.
Regards
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Channel Islands - New Zealand connection
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bryan

I'm not able to verify or give the info that you are seeking but I see that you have commented on the condition of the photo. Would you like us to restore it for you?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Channel Islands - New Zealand connection
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
This CdV photo would need to have square corners for it to be a pre-1870 image. Sorry I can't help with the uniforms, but someone else may.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I would appreciate if you could restore the photo.
Thank you
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan

Can you go to your first post and add -' Restoration please' to it.   That way all of the restorers will see it.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Restoration please
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 21 01:07 GMT (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I had a go. Still on laptop so limited.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Aye, difficult but challenging ...
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Interesting instrument the lad is holding. 

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.