Author Topic: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Restoration please  (Read 843 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George James ROBILLIARD before 1870 - Restoration please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Interesting instrument the lad is holding.

I've googled but can't find anything like it - maybe some type of banjo  :-\

Add - tambura ??

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/tanjore-tambura-early-19th-century-india-indian-jackwood-news-photo/1183361148
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 21 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a homemade banjo. If you google it there are quite a few made from what look like tins or frying pans. Not many square ones. I wonder how well it played!?
Peter

Added: apparently they even have their own name - canjo.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 21 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the great photo work to those involved.
We think the boy is holding a shovel, and that he was a stoker on board the ill-fated expedition of the HMS Captain of 1870. It was a ship of steam and sail.
I'm unsure of the etiquette here, but I would like to refer this post to a forum which has knowledge of the Royal Navy and its structure - uniforms, titles etc. I have had help from here before.
It intrigues me that they (someone) was taking photos at that time. It could of course be the family as they were prolific photographers. But surely the Royal Navy was not taking pre-employment pics??
Any advice or answers gratefully accepted.
It may be of interest that the Standing Boy, is a great nephew of my friend here in New Zealand, for whom I'm doing this research. The family spread far and wide to here, USA, Australia.. the great diaspora of the early 20th century. Thank you. Please give me the OK to cross post to an appropriate  forum.
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 21 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thought re the shovel Bryan . . . but look how his left hand is holding the 'neck' - if it is a shovel, it is a very light one.    Also there are string tightening pegs at the top of the neck - so some sort of musical instrument.

If you are wanting to post this photo (and restorations) on another thread for uniform recognition on this forum, that's OK.  Or you could put a link to this this thread to another board, which might be a better way of doing it.

(If you decide to move everything, you will need to rename all the photos  - I believe.)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 21 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to refer/forward this thread to say, Armed Forces Resources forum. If anyone can help?
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 21 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Just send them the link from the top of your first page. I've reproduced it here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=843479.0
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
The object is a Japanese shamisen - a musical instrument

https://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia22/en/topic/index.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 21 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha - thanks Shaun.  :)

Added -
Link to other thread -
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=843577.msg7103206#msg7103206
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 January 21 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend ( Tam Givens, world famous in the Garnock Valley - Google his website ) who makes Cigar Box Banjos but has made banjos and ukeleles and even violins from any thing that can be utilised, even frying pans.
The boy in the picture looks to have a 3 string device, not a banjo because there is no 'drum' to give the 'plonky - sound'  but more like a ukelele but unlikely to be strummed due to the bridge ( unseen in the pic) slipping sideways, but more likely for finger picking banjo style.
There is a global cottage industry for Cigar Box guitars & Banjos.

A shrewd guess about the body and long handle is for a pan which allows the holder to keep his distance from the fire.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.