Author Topic: What happened to Emma Elizabeth Fowler?  (Read 2398 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Emma Elizabeth Fowler?
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Emma Elizabeth Fowler was baptised on 13 August 1837 in St Helier d/o Charles Fowler and his wife Elizabeth Ann nee Scott. She appears on the 1841 census as Anna with the family and correctly as Emma in 1851, then she disappears. Can anyone find a marriage or death for her please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Emma Elizabeth Fowler?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Someone has put a tree on Ancestry for the family. It suggests she married a James Kirby in 1879 but no source quoted.

I would treat this as only a possibilty at the moment. I will look further for the marriage but withhout being able to look at the certificate for the fathers name it's dubious.

Stewart

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Emma Elizabeth Fowler?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've seen that tree - or rather that tree and all its copies, two by distant cousins of mine.
Completely the wrong person.
The tree has her name as Anna (a transcription error in 1841, correct in 1851) her baptism record has name as Emma Elizabeth. The only source cited is 1901 census which has "Emma / Anna" born in England. Tracking back through censuses she was born in Wolverhampton. Earliest I can find is her as widow Annie Hughes with children Arthur and Frances. Can't find a marriage for them. I suspect she may still have been married when they got together.

Most of the family were in Jersey, but she had an uncle living in Launceston Cornwall. He married twice. Two sons and a daughter from his first marriage emigrated to Illinois, I think the boys went first then the married sister and her two children joined them. The second wife and her children went to Canada. This was between 1855 and 1861 for the Canadian group and between 1851 and 1860 for the Illinois boys, 1858 to 1860 for their sister.
Maybe Emma went with one of those groups. But not found with either family on 1861 Canada census or 1860 US census.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott