Author Topic: "LEAMINGTON PRIORS" (Royal Leamington Spa)  (Read 389 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"LEAMINGTON PRIORS" (Royal Leamington Spa)
« on: Thursday 28 January 21 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Can someone tell me what kind of reason might a married woman (states she was born Middlesex, City, London) and her 17 year old son (states born Middlesex, Hampstead) have for being on the 1851 UK census for Warwickshire as Head, Lodger, Merchant's wife - Address 4 Portland Place, Leamington Priors....? 

I can now see that the entry above the one I mentioned is the same address and shows a widowed Lodging House Keeper and a House Servant.

Which seems to indicate the lady I'm interested in could possibly be wealthy

If it happens to be the lady I have in mind, her husband was a Merchant Banker, and she was actually born in Guernsey, Channel Islands, but definitely would have BEEN OF London, City.

Her husband was not there with her.

And she would have been 4 months pregnant.

A second son was born 10 August 1851  St Peter's Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands
(Where his mother was born)

Look forward to feedback as no knowledge of Leamington Priors or Royal Leamington Spa and what was offered or provided.
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "LEAMINGTON PRIORS" (Royal Leamington Spa)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Leamington Spa was a  spa resort and I wonder whether your relative was visiting it for health reasons :-\  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leamington_Sp

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 07:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 21 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay99
I think maybe it is who I'm researching as she certainly fitted into the circles that were attracted to the Spa.

I guess I can only state that we think it's her and her eldest son. If only she had stated she was born in Guernsey, Channel Islands.

But maybe it was for privacy reasons, as the lady I'm researching was definitely a London, City lady with a Merchant Banker husband.
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG