Author Topic: Trying to find a birth record circa 1870 cork city  (Read 544 times)

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Trying to find a birth record circa 1870 cork city
« on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to find any records relating to the birth of John Twomey, info I've found so far:
He married Ellen McCann in 1909 in Newry listing his father as Francis Twomey.
In the 1911 census he lists his birth place as City of Cork (hence posting on this board)
And that's it, I can't find any records for a birth with Francis as a father - indeed I can't find many records of a Francis Twomey at all (his marriage would be a real bonus!) so, having hunted for this for quite some time I've realised I need help/advice and that's where you knowledgeable lot come in.

In hope, Bean

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a birth record circa 1870 cork city
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to find any records relating to the birth of John Twomey, info I've found so far:
He married Ellen McCann in 1909 in Newry listing his father as Francis Twomey.
In the 1911 census he lists his birth place as City of Cork (hence posting on this board)
And that's it, I can't find any records for a birth with Francis as a father - indeed I can't find many records of a Francis Twomey at all (his marriage would be a real bonus!) so, having hunted for this for quite some time I've realised I need help/advice and that's where you knowledgeable lot come in.

In hope, Bean
Do you have John on 1901 Census? His marriage record records him as age 38 so born circa 1871. Have you looked for birth on www.irishgenealogy.ie Civil Records you could try from 1868 to 1872. While he stated Cork City on marriage it could have been in County as he probably grew up in the city maybe. His father Francis Twomey is recorded as a Liveryman on marriage record have you tried 1901 census for him or a Death in same site?

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 21 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for your reply

I've found Johns death (Newry) but can't be sure I've found him in 1901 census and there's no sign of Francis in either 1901 or 1911 census.
I've tried civil records but, again, no sign of Johns birth with Francis as the father.
That's a good idea to widen it to Cork as a whole - I've perhaps been too focussed on Cork City as that seemed to be the one solid clue I had.

Thanks again for your advice

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 21 05:17 GMT (UK) »
John's  father's full name maybe JAMES Francis.
Two children are listed as born to John Twomey and Ellen McCann in Newry
Margaret  10 June 1911
James      13 April 1914  (on cert as James Francis,
likely to have received his paternal grandfather's name ? )
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 21 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I didn't even think of that  ::)
Children are right ones so that's another avenue for me to think about.

Thanks all, much appreciated - this line is the one giving me the most headaches

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 21 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all the advice offered previously, I was thinking about all this again in the early hours...........
On Johns marriage (civil) record in the Registrars book of marriages it states his father as being Francis - would it have been legal to do so if his name was really 'Another' Francis rather than just Francis or could he just have put what he was known as?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Information on certificates depends on what informant states and no proof was required. It;s not at all uncommon to find people listed under various names in different records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!