Author Topic: Emily Lyon born 1829 1831 Scotland  (Read 882 times)

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emily Lyon born 1829 1831 Scotland
« on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Emily is my 2nd great grandmother. The only things I know for certain about her are that her married name was Winn/Wynn. She spent her married life in Newcastle upon Tyne and died a young mother. From the GRO, I can see that her mother’s maiden name was Lyon and from the  1861 census where she’s incorrectly listed as Emily Wain, her origin is Scotland.
Having looked extensively at Scotland’s People, there seem to be very few Emily Lyons and no birth records for any. I narrowed her to one of 2 Emily Lyons from Edinburgh. I’ve discounted one as she died in middle age. She married John Hunter and an Emily Hunter with the correct mother’s maiden name listed, died. This leaves a child listed on the 1841 census as living with widow Lyon and brothers Alex and William. I think widow Lyon might have been born Margaret Austie and her deceased husband was William Lyon. They seem to have mainly lived in the St Cuthbert’s district. William and Margaret appear to have had a daughter Marion Gray Lyon who died as a small child in 1838. I think Alex’s full name was Alexander Monteith Lyon.
I would like, to be able to find for definite the Emily I’m looking for. I wondered if maybe she was just living with widow Lyon as daughter and had been born to someone else.  Maybe after Marion and her father died, Widow Lyon needed help so had a young female relative live with her as a daughter? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Lyon born 1829 1831 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
One bit at a time

If she was born in Scotland you would not see her mothers maiden name on "the GRO"  It would be on Scotlands People

You say you have her in 1861 as Wain - freebmd shows she married Francis Winn in June qtr 1861 so either he was previously married or she was as the 1861 shows children born before 1861

Do you have a copy of that marriage cert?  Any fathers name shown?

Daughter Ann was b 1858 - mmn Lyon
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
There is also an Emily Lyon on 1851 scottish census in Edinburgh, age 17. There are no recorded births for a Emily Lyon on SP

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links both.

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Carole-wain is just an incorrect transcription. They are also variously listed as Winn and Wynn.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I agree that Wain is a mistranscription, though the original isn't all that clear and I can see how a transcriber might have read it as Wain

There's a 14-year-old John in the family, and there is a birth of John Winn, mother's maiden surname MacInally, in Newcastle in 1846. In 1851 there's a family consisting of Francis, 28; wife Margaret, 25, son Francis, 8, son John, 5, and daughter Margaret, 2. Margaret Winn, 25, died in Newcastle in 1851 aged 25 and another Margaret Winn, aged 3, died later the same year. So it does look as if Francis as married before.

As CaroleW says, you need to get a copy of the marriage certificate. Ann's birth certificate might also be of interest.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Here's the marriage entry from FS

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP7B-9VPH

I think the 1841 entry you found with mother shown as "widow Lyon" is the right entry

If you look up the births for sons Alexander (1834) & William (1837) on SP you will find parents were William Lyon & Margaret Austie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)