Author Topic: Stirling CAMERON - help with a Probate entry and a missing death certificate  (Read 381 times)

Offline Patricia Houghton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Attached is an extract from the Probate registers from 1930 of my 2x Great Grandmothers 2nd husband who died in 1926 a full 4 years before administration was granted, which I think is highly unusual given he only had £55 to administer.
Try as I might I cannot find his death certificate anywhere and neither can the local Registry Offices in the Derbyshire area, I have even had them looking at UNKNOWN male death certificates in the hope I could find a death with the correct date on it .
His name was Stirling CAMERON and he was also known as Harold CAMERON and was born circa 1865, possibly in Scotland.

I cannot see how probate could ever have been granted if there was no death certificate issued?

Any suggestions/observations/comments on where to look next would be gratefully received.
I have run out of options and places to search and do not know how to progress this further

Many thanks in anticipation

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling CAMERON - help with a Probate entry and a missing death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Maybe something happened in Elizabeths life in 1930 and she needed to obtain the administration.  As they were married when he died it is likely anything he owned passed to her without a will being necessary.

Do you have the administration, I wondered if it gave any more information than the probate index.  I know they don't normally say a lot. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling CAMERON - help with a Probate entry and a missing death certificate
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the PM, it is a shame that the administration does not give any more information but it was worth looking  :).  Did he marry Elizabeth in England
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
The delay could be because some assets turned up later and this necessitated a formal grant of probate to get them released.  Perhaps a bank account with £55 in it?
Elwyn

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Is this the man in 1911 ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7KJ-Q82

Marriage 1910.

ev

Added
Sterling Cameron / Elizabeth Canham , marriage 1st quarter 1910 Ely(FreeBMD).
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he died outside of England & Wales?
Deaths are registered in the Registration District, and jurisdiction, in which the death happened.

So, he may have died in Scotland, Ireland or another country.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Sterling Domask Cameron , from the 1911 Census you say the Domask is possibly a badly transcibed Donald.
He was a widower when he married in 1910.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records