Author Topic: Mary McMillan McKirdy  (Read 842 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McMillan McKirdy
« on: Saturday 30 January 21 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McKirdy was born Greenock 1807 to parents Alexander/Mary McMillan, though I believe there are links to Bute.  I have considerable information about Alexander, but little about his parents.
His parents are shown in birth and death records, though there is a baptism for parents Alexander McCurdy/Mary McMullen in Catholic church records.  I found a Mary McKirdy in the 1841 Greenock census, with three daughters - Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Janet.  I have found a Catholic baptism for Mary Ann (again to McCurdy/McMullen), but no births notices for any of the girls.  This group appears to have moved to Rothesay where I find them in 1861 - again in 1891 (without Mary).  The mother, Mary, is too young to have had Alexander in 1807.  There may be a link with McFies, as Alexander jnr registered the death of a younger Alexander (parents Daniel and Sarah McFie) as his uncle.  Any thoughts would be helpful.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McMillan McKirdy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Can you also add dates/places please other than census dates which tells us nothing about your people i.e. when/where born?

Dates are important for research.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I can only say that if I had birth date and places I would have added them.  The only proof I have that Mary McMillan existed is from her son's birth and death certificates, and I already said that her son Alexander was born in 1807 in Greenock.  I can't add anything else.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
"I found a Mary McKirdy in the 1841 Greenock census, with three daughters - Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Janet.  I have found a Catholic baptism for Mary Ann"

What were the ages/yrs of birth of each in 1841 & does it state 'Y' or 'N' as to whether born in the County?

Where/When was the baptism for Mary Ann?

"There may be a link with McFies, as Alexander jnr registered the death of a younger Alexander (parents Daniel and Sarah McFie) as his uncle"

Where & when was the death registered?

People need dates & places to work with when trying to match up possible connections.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I do appreciate the fact that you're giving your time to this but as I'm a very experienced researcher I know not to clutter up my post with unnecessary information.  I don't think young Alexander's death adds anything but all the activity has happened in Greenock.  I did say that the age of the Mary McKirdy with the three daughters couldn't possibly fit with the age of Mary McMillan as it would mean she gave birth at age 7. 

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 January 21 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I forgot to explain that when I asked how you "linked" the Alexanders married to Mary McMillan and Mary McFie, I was wondering about what thoughts linked them in your head, because I couldn't get the connection.  The Alexander that registered the child of Daniel and Sarah was living at the same address as my ancestor who was never married to a McFie.  One explanation might be that two Alexander McKirdy's lived in the same tenement at the same time.

Sheena

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I think if the whole thing had been written in a fact & fiction manner it would have been less confusing to follow?

Therefore, what you knew to be fact in the 1st instance then underneath in a different paragraph, the fiction (info. previously researched & found not to fit) which people appreciate as it separates them & it saves time.

The reason I posted the info. I did was simply names in your research in the same area around the same time if I recall.
It seemed to me there could possibly be a link given the above...I didn't research into it nor did I know the status of any of the people regarding who was/wasn't married etc.

I know when I do my own research, if I find similar names in the same area at the same time, I do check them out just in case they're related.

Annie