Author Topic: birth certificate from adopt person  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificate from adopt person
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 January 21 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ella,

My known contact was not born in England & it was quite a bit later unfortunately.

How sure are you of the name given to your uncle &/or his place of birth?

Where did the adoption of your match take place, have you looked in that area for the birth?

Does the place of birth of your match tally with where your uncle was said to have been born?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a Government website:
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Looks like you will have to go through an Intermediary Agency.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
KG,

I would have suggested the above but without a BC with matching PoB, I think it may be an impossible task?

Furthermore, not knowing the adoptive details makes it even harder given the absence of the above.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 January 21 07:58 GMT (UK) »
It's the date of birth.

There is no way of linking the adoption certificate to the original birth certificate.

Not strictly correct, it can be done if enough information is know or suspected. I have three birth certificates for an adopted person.
The first given to me by the adopted person is the short certificate given after adoption.

This contains the adopted name, correct date of birth and the county of birth of the person.

The second is a birth certificate given to me by the mother's sister, which states Adopted and gives the superintendent registrars signature.

This also gives all the usual details found on a birth certificate but on this particular certificate no father's name (i.e. they were not married and the father not present on registration). It also contains the name the mother gave the child at birth.

The third a modern certificate from the Adopted Children Register in the adopted name of the child.

This has 8 columns giving Number of Entry : Date & County of Birth : Name & Surname of Child : Sex : Name and Surname, address & occupation of the adopter or adopters : Date of Adoption Order & Description of Court by which made : Date of Entry : Signature of Officer Deputed by Registrar General to Attest the entry.

Assumptions do have to be made but depending on what is known linking the original birth certificate with the adopted  persons certificate the link can be made, but this is also true with locating any certificate we have to make assumptions based on what we know.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ElaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 January 21 08:48 GMT (UK) »
tried to delete it. I hope it is correct now.
My uncle's siblings are sure that he was born in March 1942 in Gosport or nearby, as his mother and her family lived there. They have no more information than that. The person with whom my other uncle (his brother) and I share a large match is from near London. The father also married there.
Thank you all

Offline ElaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 21 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Guy Etchelles,  I have the name, the place and the month, as well as the year.  Can I get anywhere with it? Does the new birth certificate after the adoption have the correct place of birth on it? Thank you very much

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
ElaJones
From family experience the date of birth of an adopted relative is the same on both certificates.  Why would it not be?  There is also in addition the certificate of adoption, which shows the date on which the adoption was legalised, but of course that is different, being some time later than the birth. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ElaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the Information. Ela

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Guy Etchelles,  I have the name, the place and the month, as well as the year.  Can I get anywhere with it? Does the new birth certificate after the adoption have the correct place of birth on it? Thank you very much

The new birth certificate does not show the exact place of birth only the county of birth, this is because if the town or village of birth was shown it would be relatively easy to narrow down the possibilities of the birth mother in many cases.
When the adoption laws were drawn up it was thought a clean break was the best solution, now we known in many cases that makes more problems for the adopted person than it solves.

However it is possibly to discover mother with what you have but it could/will take a lot of research through many registers depending on exactly what you and/or your uncle know.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.