Author Topic: John Warren from Macroom, married circa 1875  (Read 719 times)

Offline Smedrockd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Warren from Macroom, married circa 1875
« on: Saturday 30 January 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful for any information or suggestions as to the family (particularly parents or siblings) of John Warren who appears to have been born in the Macroom area in 1838, and married Margaret Murphy in about 1875.  They seem to have had five children born in the same area (Michael J, Hannah/Johannah, Mary, Annie, and Katie/Catherine) and then emigrated to New York and had a two further children Maggie and John.  I have a genetic connection to their descendants in the USA but would like to find any family that stayed in Ireland. Many thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Warren from Macroom, married circa 1875
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »

...John Warren who appears to have been born in the Macroom area in 1838, and married Margaret Murphy in about 1875.

Here's the marriage in 1875.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11200/8104434.pdf

John living in the townland of Coolcour.
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/west-muskerry/macroom/macloneigh/coolcour/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 21 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

John Warren is recorded as age 22, at the time of his marriage in January 1875.  Wouldn’t this mean he was born c. 1853 and not 1838.

Regards

Offline Smedrockd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're right,  this is something I only noticed after reading the link to the marriage record yesterday.  The marriage record I had previously didn't have these the ages recorded.  The earlier birth date I have now looks unreliable (the marriage record is more convincing to me) and I need to rethink.  However I think it unlocks some possibilities for me thank you

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you know whether your John had siblings?

There were two Warren females, both stated to be daughters of 'Michael Warren, Labourer', married in different churches in Macroom area, around that time.

2 Mar 1878 - Hannah Warren (m) Timothy Riordan.  One witness was Margaret Warren.
See:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11097/8061505.pdf

8 Feb 1890 - Annie Warren, age 27 (m) Cornelius Lucey.   On this one Michael Warren is 'Dead'. 
See:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1890/10696/5898758.pdf

There may be more.   It might be worth checking 1901 and 1911 census for them and their children, if they had any.  You can also check for births of children on www.irishgenealogy.ie.

Regards

Offline Smedrockd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, great, no I wasn't aware of them ... and siblings are exactly this kind of leads I need. 

This looks like it might be another one ... Margaret Warren (again daughter of Michael, a labourer):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/10996/8020512.pdf

Although this marriage takes place in Ballincollig, Margaret's marriage to William Aherne looks like it produces a son, Denis the following year, but born much closer to Macroom in the parish of Kilmurry.

Unfortunately, I can't read the name of the building where Margaret & William's marriage took place or the location of their residence at the time.  I wondered if anyone could help?  Many thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can't read the name of the building where Margaret & William's marriage took place or the location of their residence at the time.  I wondered if anyone could help?  Many thanks

The marriage is in the Clergyman's house (of Ovens? RC Church).

They're both living in the townland of Currahaly.
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/east-muskerry/aglish/aglish/currahaly/

KG

Offline Smedrockd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much that's very helpful