Author Topic: FTM 2019  (Read 772 times)

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
FTM 2019
« on: Saturday 30 January 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have FTM 2005 on my PC and loads of info on it. It installed ok from just a copy of the disc (many years ago) on windows 10. It takes a while to open but does eventually. Thought it might be time to update to 2019 version in case I lose it. Seems 2019 is a stand alone upgrade so how do I copy files over from 2005 version.
Had a live chat with Mackiev and the chap said that if I have got fam tree files on computer it will pick them up. Seems a bit vague to me. Do I copy over with gedcoms or what.

Also has anyone bought this version. Do I really need to upgrade? Just a precaution really as never been synced with Ancestry.

" You will be able to open files from previous version into FTM 2019 directly without any prior conversion.
You can open FTW and .FBK files
.FBC files
.AFT files
.GED
FTW and  .FBK
You need to open FTM 2019 and choose Open option to open regular tree file and choose Restore option to restore backup. You just need to have tree files on computer where you are going to install FTM 2019".

Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2019
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
once you've got the 2019 programme on your computer and open.You can log into ancestry from it  at the top right hand corner and then click download tree  from ancestry which is on the left hand side of the program dashboard.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I did the same thing. Was running FTM 2005 (on Windows 7).  I was getting concerned that it may stop working so I bought FTM 2019.  (I did a live chat with Mackiev and got a reasonable upgrade price).    On opening FTM 2019 you point it at the folder where your original files sit   (*.FTW and *.FTB files from FTM 2005).   It then builds a new file from that and saves it where you ask.   There is no use of *.GED files in this process.   The FTM 2019 format is obviously very different, so you cannot go back to FTM 2005 to read the new file.   You can choose to run both FTMs if you like, but there is no obvious way to keep the two files in sync.       

I'm happy with FTM 2019 but is much slower than old version because it  keeps all windows open and updated at once - Tree view, name list, relationships...   Also, on the PC, the fonts used are rather small.  There are some options to adjust that.

I do sync with Ancestry, but I don't find much use for the integration of Ancestry and FTM.   I prefer to deal with "hints" manually by doing my own research.

Like any software, there's a learning curve to deal with the new program.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies. Have never had my tree on Ancestry so would be going down the same route as greenrig. Just out of interest, does it save all info from the old version, such as notes? Is there anything missing which needs to be put in manually, as I say I have a very large tree?

Probably keep the two trees on pc for a time., until such a time as it no longer works.
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know FTM 2019 imported everything from 2005.  Tree, notes, citations,....   I dont store tree photos in FTM so don't know about that.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 March 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
After a bit of oohing and aahing I decided to splash the cash on Ftm 2019, going for the full package of download and USB. Had to pay full price but delivery and vat added which bumped up price a fair bit. On hindsight think should have gone for just download as they give a link to do it again if your pc breaks down.

You can save trees onto the USB but in order to view them think you have to download the drivers from it again. Not too sure. It's not as easy to use as 2005 version and probably won't use all facilities on it but hopefully will keep my trees safe.
It does copy over all notes and photos and you can add as many ftm trees as you like. Just have to keep playing with it.
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton