Author Topic: Ancestry - Can I Link my DNA to Two Trees?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Ancestry - Can I Link my DNA to Two Trees?
« on: Sunday 31 January 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I've just received my DNA profile from Ancestry. I've got a lot of family and many years ago I realized I could stay on top of things by splitting my tree into maternal and paternal trees with the other half represented with a pedigree.

Right now I'm attached to my paternal line but it looks like I have to switch over to my maternal tree for it to work. Is this right, or is there a way to have my DNA working with both trees at the same time?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Can I Link my DNA to Two Trees?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
You can only have your DNA linked to one tree, what I done. was download the GED file of my largest tree, then simply upload that as a new tree (I called mine DNA) save everyone from the other tree's I have and add them into it. It is slow and a pain but that was the best way that I was able to do mine. I also made this tree private (as I do with all my tree's. I hope this helps.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes as Ross says you can only attach to one tree.

I was in a similar position to you so downloaded both Ancestry trees as gedcoms and then combined them within my own personal software and then reuploaded the combined tree.

Make your tree private but searchable - makes dna contact easier.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 21 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the responses, I figured as much from playing but thought I'd ask.

Pheno,
A good point on private and searchable, I will check what I've done in that respect.

I'll also check I have full pedigrees in on both trees, I really don't want to mash the two back together again but if the full pedigree is there at least I should come out as an unlinked tree. And I never don't respond to a message.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,