Author Topic: Hannah May Miller Can you date this photo?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah May Miller Can you date this photo?
« on: Sunday 31 January 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Iím new to roots so not sure if Iím doing this right! I have been passed some photos by a fellow relative. She is unsure who they are. In this photo I suspect the older lady be my 3rd great gm who moved from Carlow to stoke on trent by 1860. I believe this photo was taken in stoke. And possibly the younger one to be her daughter my 2nd great gm with one of her daughters? I am wondering if they have been to a funeral given their clothing?
Thank you in advance
Sara

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah May Miller Can you date this photo?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara and welcome to Rootschat, This one must have slipped down the board. The older lady does look to be in mourning dress. I would say this is most likely to be an early 1890s image.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, many thanks for your response, Just to add, the picture is not of Hannah May miller, this was a different relative. I believe the older woman in the photo to be Sarah Williams. Her husband Noah Rigby died in 1894 so maybe the photo is connected to his passing? Just out of interest, how old would you say the ladies are in the photo?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I think it's as Carol says - 1890s, but I've seen some sleeves like that dated circa 1905.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes Gadget that occurred to me too but, I 'm not sure that the photographic style fits with the Edwardian era. It would help if we could see the whole photo including the surround which on the face of it, looks like it could be the later style.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Possibly late 60s early seventies, late twenties early thirties and the child about 12-15 months. The child could be a boy.
Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Older woman circa 60s and younger one late 20s/early 30s.
Just seen your dating, Carol, after typing this.  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
It's a lovely image.... I gave it light tidy up for you, hope you don't mind. One in original tone.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
...and a warmer one with a sepia type tint.
Carol