Author Topic: Hannah May Miller Can you date this photo?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah May Miller Can you date this photo?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much Carol what a lovely job you have done! So just to clarify, do you think it may be 1890s or early 1900s? If it is my 3rd ggm Sarah she was born around 1842 I believe. If this is her daughter Hannah she was born in 1864 so not sure! And Thankyou for pointing out the child could have been a boy as I had convinced myself it was a girl! Do you think there is anything here to suggest they are a catholic family?

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Lovely picture.

Just regarding the mourning aspect of the clothing:

You're right, Carol, that the older lady could be in mourning - all dark colour, cloak, necktie etc, very formal - but the younger woman evidently isn't with a patterned blouse.

If they are mother and daughter, would the mother still be in mourning whilst her daughter (who would have apparently also lost a close relative, if not father) would not be?

And of course all dark colours come out black in black and white photographs, so there is slight room for manoeuvre with what shade the clothes actually are?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Igor...Yes you make some good points but older people stuck more rigidly to mourning dress for a longer period than later generations.
I think on balance, it's more likely to be Sarah as the ages and dates are a better fit. People in Victorian times often looked older than what they were, especially if they have lost their teeth. The older lady's outfit could be purple which I believe is the colour worn in the second stage of mourning in Victorian times.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about purple, Carol....

in some ways easier to imagine her all in black than head to foot in purple.  How times change.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes they have, Queen Victoria had a lot to answer for  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 February 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
For Comparison...This is a 1906 image of my Great Grandma Charlotte in mourning after the death of her Husband. She was a Catholic. She would have been 45 years old. This photo is very different in style to your your photo.
Carol

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 February 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou to both, your information is really helpful. The family were catholic and I have found all of the catholic baptism records for her children, so I am curious and fascinated on the massive difference in dress with your ancestor Carol if it is Sarah! Could this be due to the time difference and change of style of dress or perhaps lack of money do you think?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 February 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Mourning outfits were often borrowed and my Great Grandma was working class so not very wealthy, It also looks big on her too as my Uncle told me that she "Looked bigger than what she was" in this photo. The one worn by your ancestor looks to be a lot earlier style than the one in my photo, but again, it may have been borrowed.
Carol

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 February 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sarah and the family also did not have much money so that makes sense. Thankyou for your help. I have a couple more photos that are unknown and would appreciate any help with them too!  :)