Author Topic: Need help to find No. 13  (Read 315 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need help to find No. 13
« on: Sunday 31 January 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,    I'm just wondering if some kind person could help me to find the last one of the dozen siblings of my grandfather.  His name was John Hill born 31 December 1883 in Glasgow.  His parents were James and Mary Hill and they were married in 1876.

I know that James and Mary had 13 children as it says so on the census but I cannot find the last one.   Whoever it is would have been born some time between 1877 and 1898, when James died.    I have spent an arm and a leg on Scotland's People looking at likely possibilities (bearing in mind the gaps between children) and have successfully found two, but the last one eludes me.     Scotland's People doesn't allow you to put the parents name on the search so I am struggling.    I can't find them on Ancestry, nor on Family Search.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to find No. 13
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People doesn't allow you to put the parents name on the search so I am struggling.
It's not that they don't allow you; this information isn't in the original index. They are gradually updating the indexes but there is a very long way to go.

I can't find them on Ancestry, nor on Family Search.
If they are not on Scotland's People they will not be on Anc or FS because the information on these sites (and FindMyPast and MyHeritage) is simply an index to what is on Scotland's People.

I take it that you have found the family on all the censuses, and that you have found birth records for all of the 12 so far?

If not, then that's your next step. Then list all the 12 known children in order, with year and place of birth (from the births index, not from the census) and we'll have a think about it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:01 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of the ones you have?
Was Mary née Malone?

There is this death, you may have see question 1  ;D

HILL
WILLIAM
MALONE
644/3 1754
Dennistoun

Dates of birth and death of the ones you have would be useful too.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have found with mine on the Scottish Census, that the names of the children were often recorded by what the family knew them as.   I had been looking for a Jessie for ages, and finally found her under Janet.  I also found one in a Baptism, when I was looking for someone else.

Yes, it does cost an arm and leg, especially to the ones outside of the Uk, who don't know the country very well.  But there are ways and means to narrow it down, so you aren't wasting credits.  Somewhere on here there is a good tutorial how to use SP.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
The number of children showing on the census from the marriage, this was from the 1911 census? If so, how many showed as alive and deceased?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I have found with mine on the Scottish Census, that the names of the children were often recorded by what the family knew them as.   I had been looking for a Jessie for ages, and finally found her under Janet.
Jessie and Janet are totally interchangeable in Scotland. If you mislay a Janet, always check for her as Jessie, and vice versa.

No-one seems to know why this should be the case, but it is very common indeed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, no idea why my last post was duplicated.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.   I have just replied in some detail but my post seems to have got lost for some reason.     I will wait to see if it surfaces and if not, will list the names and dates of birth of the twelve children I know about tomorrow.

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Further to my last reply, thank you so much Mckha489, you've cracked it.    I have now found the birth as well, on 18th October.

I think where I was going wrong was obviously in looking at the births before the deaths, because, as you say, the deaths show the mother's maiden name, which is crucial.    Thanks again, very much.