Author Topic: How many years.....  (Read 2221 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: How many years.....
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There are people who buy (and companies who sell) books by the yard.

I understand that sales have soared with thousands partaking in video conference calls and wanting to appear as "learned".

I remember hearing that those with a view only to decor could order books with spines of a particular colour.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 February 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly very interesting to look at the Zoom bookshelf backgrounds.  Some are very untidy, some so neat that you just know that they never look at their books  I remember IDS sitting in front of a narrow bookcase with carefully matched books which went from larger ones at the edge of the shelf to smaller ones in the middle.  Matt Hancock in his red study and Grant Shapps have their red boxes carelessly open, but they are obviously an important part of their ministerial image.  Some, however, appear to be speaking from a small cupboard.  My favourite was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who last year Zoomed from his kitchen table, with a very homely background.  No showing off there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Why not try the offerings in this link as your background?  Pretend you are in the library at Blickling or the writing room at Sissinghurst Castle.  You don't have to be a member of the Trust to use them.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/virtual-backgrounds-for-zoom

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:14 GMT (UK) »
In Caister On Sea, near where I live, there was once a bookshop called Cricket Bookshop which had books all about cricket and cricketers. And one of my ancestors was an Oxford cricketer in the 1860s.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Further update:

am inching forward with the sorting out.

9 boxes delivered to the school up the road my children attended, c 650 books.
1 box (25) of varied literary classics and other books of interest to someone collecting for her daughter who's doing an English degree - she was thrilled.
1 box (50) of various genres, including green detective paperbacks, to absolutely delighted man
I box (25) of various genres being collected Friday
2 boxes of 50 each of various genres being collected Saturday
1 box of Chess books to go to local club - awaiting confirmation of collection/delivery

I have three boxes of cookery books - mainly reference - which doesn't include the whole bookcase of recipe books in the kitchen.  Keeping those.

Already 3 boxes of other volumes I'm keeping, will be many more.

And the rest have been claimed by a Freegler who says they will take all the balance, once I've sorted/boxed them.

One I'm def keeping is a hardback Household Management volume from the 1930's which not only has interesting recipes, but instructions about how to train your maid, respond politely to invitations (when to acknowledge, when to arrive, what thank you notes to write), amongst many amazingly interesting Social History snippets.

Son was reading over breakfast to see what recipes they had which he could use.....he says easier than Mrs Beeton.   ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »

Son was reading over breakfast to see what recipes they had which he could use.....he says easier than Mrs Beeton.   ;)

Nothing beats the original Bero recipe book  :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
One I'm def keeping is a hardback Household Management volume from the 1930's which not only has interesting recipes, but instructions about how to train your maid, respond politely to invitations (when to acknowledge, when to arrive, what thank you notes to write), amongst many amazingly interesting Social History snippets.

Two that I'll have to keep, bought the year i married . .

. . . "The Awful Housekeepers Book", which I can't quite put my hand on - anyway I've LEARNED how to be an awful housekeeper!

. . . "The I hate to Housekeep Book", which contains useful tips for everyone "keep the burn ointment at the stove, not in the medicine box"
And ones for those like me that she calls "random housekeepers" - " start a big clean-up-the-whole-house in a different room each time -you know you won't do the whole house"
"have a special cheap saucepan for boiling eggs, then you'll never need to scrub the lime-scale off"
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:22 GMT (UK) »

. . . "The I hate to Housekeep Book", which contains useful tips for everyone "keep the burn ointment at the stove, not in the medicine box"

Got that one.....

is that the one which says that 'casual decoration' means a magazine on the coffee table, not a sock on the mantelpiece?

And I also recall one which discusses the argument as to whether to rinse ahead of putting in the dishwasher or not bother, and says you should "scrape off large residues (like a chicken carcase) but not bother with the rest"

Also a very good one aimed at men (by an extremely good novelist) which is called, I think, "how to get things really flat".
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 February 21 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Got that one.....

is that the one which says that 'casual decoration' means a magazine on the coffee table, not a sock on the mantelpiece?

And I also recall one which discusses the argument as to whether to rinse ahead of putting in the dishwasher or not bother, and says you should "scrape off large residues (like a chicken carcase) but not bother with the rest"

That's the very one! I had a good giggle this morning glancing through it for a suitable quote or two.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford