Author Topic: Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please
« on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I’d be grateful for a second opinion on my line of reasoning because I’m currently working on an area of my tree which I’ve had to totally revise after recent findings.

I’m almost certain that Sarah Hunt who was in Red Cross Street in Leicester in 1841 is the right person, after having to throw out a whole line I’d created wrongly. Her age is given as 45, so born in 1796.

In 1851 she was at Little Holme St, aged 56, so born 1795. She is at home with several children.

In 1861 she was at Great Holme Street with son John. She is a widow, now aged 69 ???

In 1871 a Sarah Hunt is an inmate of Wyggeston Hospital, aged 79. This place was a charitable institution for elderly infirm people, founded long before but recently moved to the side of town where known Sarah Hunt lived in 1861.

In 1878 a Sarah Hunt died in Leicester aged 86. I can’t see another likely death. I’m pretty sure it must be her.

Sorry to ask these favours but I have no-one else to run my sometimes crazy ideas past.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
What happened to son John? 

Do you have him in 1871?

And the other children?

Always best to check off what they're doing just in case they have an elderly relative with them.....
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

In 1841 anyone over 15 was supposed to have there age rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so if Sarah was 45-49 her age would be recorded as 45.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 21 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It seems to fit doesn’t it?  :)
Do Sarah’s places of birth in the censuses tally?
Do you have the d/c in case it mentions her husband’s name? Is there any record of burial or headstone which may give further details?
Are there any other suitable Sarah Hunts around who you could/should eliminate?

I agree with Igor’s suggestion of checking her children’s whereabouts.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Leicester Chronicle
31st August 1878

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 21 05:37 GMT (UK) »

"...I’m almost certain that Sarah Hunt who was in Red Cross Street in Leicester in 1841 is the right person,"

The right person for....what?.

Who are you researching........that someone named Sarah HUNT is a possible person of interest?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 21 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Her son Peter married Ann Chater on 10 Feb 1859 at St Mary, Leicester. Both his address and Ann's was Great Holme Street, his father was William Hunt, occupation traveller. John Hunt was a witness, he signed, but Peter made his mark.

Mary Ann possibly married Daniel Bigley, the lodger with the family in 1851
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 21 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Got Mary Ann's marriage now to Daniel Bigley. 6 Aug 1853 at St Mary, Leicester. address for both, Little Holme Street, confirms father as William Hunt, occ traveller. Peter Hunt is a witness.

So it looks like the census records for 1841, 51 and 61 are for the same family.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 February 21 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help and for providing these useful clues and pointers.

I had previously worked out the line of William Hunt, born in Leicester in about 1820, from the 1851 Census forwards. However, I had worked out his parentage incorrectly. It was only the other day that I came across William and Sarah Hunt and realised that they were much more likely to be his parents than the people I’d previously identified. One problem is that I haven’t yet found William (who married Mary Jarvis in 1839 in Leicester St Mary’s) in the 1841 Census, nor his father William (or the latter in 1851, though he may be the William who was nearby in Bowling Green Street, though not then, it seems, a traveller).

I think that all of the present evidence suggests that Sarah who died in Wyggeston Hospital is the same Sarah as in these censuses. I’ll certainly try and definitely rule out her being with one of her children, but certainly no death record on FindMyPast or FreeBMD seems to fit apart from this one. I could order her death certificate but it may not give me a definite answer, especially if the death was registered by a member of the hospital staff.

One of the issues I’ve had with this family is that William Hunt is a pretty common name in the parish records of this era in Leicester and it seems that the family used more than one church. I’m sure that other people are very used to these sort of problems. I’ve been pretty fortunate with a lot of my research previously because this is the first time I’ve had to deal with a fairly common name in a town with numerous parishes.

Dave ;)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight