Author Topic: Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please
« Reply #27 on: Friday 26 February 21 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Don't put your thread to bed just yet! Here's a little more info, regarding burials.

Sarah and William are both buried in Welford Rd cemetery, but in separate graves.

Sarah's shares her grave with 2 other people:
JONES   CHARLES MARTIN   1851   OCT   22   age 36   5 YORK STREET   SAINT GEORGE   PAINTER
HUNT   SARAH   1878   AUG   26   age 86   WIGGESTON HOSPITAL   SAINT MARY   
HUNT   AMELIA   1879   FEB   22   age 54   RUDING STREET   THE FRIARS   

This is William's:
HUNT   WILLIAM   1857   DEC   28   age 67   LEICESTER UNION HOUSE   SAINT MARGARET   
HUNT   JOHN   1858   JUN   22   age 65   CAUSEWAY LANE   ALL SAINTS   
WRIGHT   CHARLES HENRY   1884   SEP   16   age 2   WEST STREET   SAINT MARY   
WELLS   JOHN ARTHUR   1900   MAR   31   age 16DAYS   6 CRAVEN PLACE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   FRANCES ROSALIND   1900   APR   4   age 21DAYS   6 CRAVEN PLACE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   DORIS ADELAIDE   1902   OCT   6   age 5MTHS   SANVEY GATE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   GEORGE EDWARD   1904   JUN   29   age 4MTHS   28 CRAVEN STREET   LEICESTER   

This should help you to rule them in/out.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are my deductions flawed? - second opinion please
« Reply #28 on: Friday 26 February 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Don't put your thread to bed just yet! Here's a little more info, regarding burials.

Sarah and William are both buried in Welford Rd cemetery, but in separate graves.

Sarah's shares her grave with 2 other people:
JONES   CHARLES MARTIN   1851   OCT   22   age 36   5 YORK STREET   SAINT GEORGE   PAINTER
HUNT   SARAH   1878   AUG   26   age 86   WIGGESTON HOSPITAL   SAINT MARY   
HUNT   AMELIA   1879   FEB   22   age 54   RUDING STREET   THE FRIARS   

This is William's:
HUNT   WILLIAM   1857   DEC   28   age 67   LEICESTER UNION HOUSE   SAINT MARGARET   
HUNT   JOHN   1858   JUN   22   age 65   CAUSEWAY LANE   ALL SAINTS   
WRIGHT   CHARLES HENRY   1884   SEP   16   age 2   WEST STREET   SAINT MARY   
WELLS   JOHN ARTHUR   1900   MAR   31   age 16DAYS   6 CRAVEN PLACE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   FRANCES ROSALIND   1900   APR   4   age 21DAYS   6 CRAVEN PLACE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   DORIS ADELAIDE   1902   OCT   6   age 5MTHS   SANVEY GATE   LEICESTER   
WELLS   GEORGE EDWARD   1904   JUN   29   age 4MTHS   28 CRAVEN STREET   LEICESTER   

This should help you to rule them in/out.

Many thanks for this information. I had been hoping to visit the Welford Road Cemetery visitor centre when lockdown eventually lifts but you have saved me the trouble.

I think that Amelia Hunt, born about 1825, was the wife of William and Sarah Hunt’s son Thomas, who married Emily Roe in St Mary’s in 1843. She made a mark so the name discrepancy is easily explained. At the time Thomas’s address was Red Cross Street.  In the 1851 Census Thomas and Amaelia Hunt were living in Shakespeare Court which would have been very close by (I think that the modern Shakespeare’s Head pub pretty much stands beside the site of Red Cross Street). Thomas was a hawker like his father William.

I think that the John Hunt buried in the same plot as William was almost certainly the brother of William who was baptised in 1792 in St Nicholas.

None of the other names seem to fit in with them. If William was a pauper, as seems likely given that he died in the workhouse, presumably he would have been buried in a pauper’s grave. (Cause of death was asthma and “disease of brain”, so presumably he would have been unable to work). Wyggeston Hospital, where Sarah later died, was an almshouse, so presumably she was poor too. What I do find a bit puzzling is how William and Sarah both seem to share their plots with one other person who seems to be a relative, as well as the probable strangers. If they were pauper burials, the strangers seem easier to explain than the relatives in these plots.

Dave :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight