Author Topic: William Stone and Mary Pullman, Topsham  (Read 815 times)

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
William Stone and Mary Pullman, Topsham
« on: Monday 01 February 21 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am trying to figure out who the William Stone is that married Mary Pullman/Pulman at Topsham in 1786. He died in 1832 and was a coal merchant at Topsham in the 1822 and 1830 directories. His daughter Mary wed a Thomas Harvey who was in business with William and then took it over completely after 1832. They had a daughter Sarah who married an Italian born mariner Nicholas Motty and they eventually settled in St John's Newfoundland in the early 1820s. William's death record shows him born in 1758, but I can't find a William Stone around Topsham or elsewhere born then. There is no record of his parents. Somehow my Stone line - that of Capt Jonas Stone of East Budleigh and his brother Samuel connect by DNA to this William. Very interesting, fascinating and frustrating all at the same time...StoneDG
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Stone and Mary Pullman, Topsham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was 7 Feb 1785, it looks possible that Mary was baptised there in 1762.

William Stone age 74 died  31 Jul 1832 (1758)
Burial 5 Aug 1832

Topsham, City of Exeter, Devon, England
Cemetery:   St Margaret Churchyard

Do you know the names of their children, it might help as there are a number of possible records for William in the County on family search.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 21 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the OPC for Topsham who provides free look-ups? Go to https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Topsham and scroll down to 'Genealogy' for the link.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
"find a grave" has a photo of the grave slab

Added. If you Google William Stone, Topsham, there's something in the Devon archives, and a mention in an Oldridge family tree of William, Mary and daughter Fanny's marriage

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 21 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all - the names of the children were (1) William 1786, d 1799 (2) George 1787, 1787 (3) Mary Ann 1788, 1873 (Married Thomas Harvey (4) Frances "Fanny" 1790, 1851 - Married John Newman (5) Robert 1791, 1796 (6) Twins Elizabeth & Sarah 1792 - Elizabeth died - Sarah married Nicolas Motty and relocated to Newfoundland (7) John Stone 1794, d between 1861 and 1871 Married Mary Ann Williams - no family (8) Robert 1796, 1797 (9) Robert 1798, 1834 - Married Anne Burrows (10) William 1803, d 1820...I have seen the Find a Grave info and pics as well - will contact the OPC and see what comes up.
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
The various links to names for the OPCs for Devon come up as dead when I try to access them

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried right clicking your mouse over the link, copying and pasting?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I just did the copy paste and sent it through my gmail - see if it works - Thanks

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 February 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Parish Records on family search, might be worth a look?

William Stone Baptism 8 Oct 1759
Alphington, Devon
William Stone of Exminster
Mary Stone

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.