Author Topic: William Stone and Mary Pullman, Topsham  (Read 826 times)

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
Re: William Stone and Mary Pullman, Topsham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 February 21 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Could be Colin - I found the marriage in a Topsham book on line and he is listed as William Stone, Mariner - no home given and Mary Pullman - one of my kin from Newfoundland Jonas - who went back to England and married in 1783 is listed the same was Jonas Stone, Mariner  & Sarah Barrett - that might be the connection
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly a REBECAH Stone married Samuel PULMAN 27 Jul 1783, St Margaret, Topsham
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish - I spent the last full day filling out the Pullman tree - goes way back in the Topsham records . Mary Pullman was an aunt to Samuel, who married Rebecca Stone. She died in 1803 - She was a daughter of a Richard Stone - no relation to my Stones as far as I can tell - they originated at Broadclyst, Devon.  Mary appears to have been baptized as Molly in 1762 at Topsham to a John Pullman and Ann Drew. So many Stones to look through but not as many Pullmans in Devon
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that explanation StoneDG :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi StoneDG. William Stone and Mary Pulman are my ancestors. The grave at Topsham is said to include seven unnamed children, one of whom died in the West Indies. I descend from their daughter Frances/Fanny who married John Newman. I would be really interested in comparing research and DNA.

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I haven't done my DNA but I have a relative in Australia whose mother did hers and she relates to descendants of Fanny Newman as well. I know there are at least six children that died as infants or youths that would be buried there likely along with the son Robert who lived to adulthood - but seven unnamed - very interesting. I am trying to figure how William connects. Being over here in Nova Scotia it is difficult to find info. There was always talk in my line (Captain Jonas Stone) that a Captain William Stone also worked for the Folletts around the same time - mid 1750s and people feel that this William is from there, but part of me thinks he is another of Jonas and Miriam's as he fits the 1754 to 1769 period that they had children. I am hoping to get my DNA done soon and will let you know.
My email is davidstonester@gmail.com.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for quick response. I have emailed you.

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 21 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin - I went through the William Stone at Alphington last night and though the years match up - he married a Jane Avery in Alphington and they lived in Exminster. He was a son of a Mary Flee and William Stone of Exminster and had siblings named Robert and Richard and Mary, Interesting lot but no connection. I have gone through a number of late 1750 and early 1760 William Stones and all married other people at other times. Keeping on the digging...DS