Author Topic: Marriage of Hett(e)y Eltham  (Read 2547 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Hett(e)y Eltham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 April 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
I found it on FindMyPast. They quote Wiltshire Baptisms Index 1530-1917 as source
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 April 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
There  are a few pages cut out of the actual register - and Bishop Transcripts don't cover this date.

in 1798/1799 - Uk Land Tax Redemption

Jas ELTHAM - was renting off a John SMITH - £3 1s. 7d.

---

Assume you have the transcript of William ASTON of Buscot, Berkshire to Hetty Eltam (by Licence)  - Hetty and William sign their own names - and witnesses; William SOVEY? and Robert DAY

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the land tax record, James would be Hetty's father, a yeoman on first marriage licence and an innkeeper on the second  to William Aston (1797) (thanks to Alan in an earlier post on this thread).

I wonder how much £3 1s 7d was worth then.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 April 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I had another look today for the marriages of Hetty Eltham/Elton. The only one I have found is to;
William Aston, of Buscott, Berks to Hetty or Holly Eltham 19-3-1797 in Hannington (By Licence). If you would like a copy from the original register I can send to you.

In Buscott -  William Aston is bur. 10-8-1817 aged 43 yrs.

I found no record of Hetty Eltham/Elton in Hannington other that a bapt. of James Newman Eltan 13-3-1789 bbs/o Esther. (taken from the transcripts from WiltsFHS)

Whilst on Ancestry I came across a marriage reference to; Jas. Norman to Hatley Eltham 23-9-1789 in Hampshire (no parish listed). FHL Film No. 1278952

I do have some CDs from the Hants FHS but so far the above marriage place has eluded me.

I realise the above info you may already have seen but thought I would just recap.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 April 21 12:56 BST (UK) »

Whilst on Ancestry I came across a marriage reference to; Jas. Norman to Hatley Eltham 23-9-1789 in Hampshire (no parish listed). FHL Film No. 1278952

I do have some CDs from the Hants FHS but so far the above marriage place has eluded me.

I realise the above info you may already have seen but thought I would just recap.

Alan

The date is the same as the bond for the first "marriage" which I don't believe ever took place. I have found a James Norman bapt in Westbury on Trym s/o John and Hannah.
I have only seen a transcription of that bond, but it seems the intended marriage place was Westbury on Trym (groom's place of residence) rather than Hetty's. They're about 45 miles apart. As to the Hampshire reference, there is also a Hannington in Hampshire. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen Family Search  get the wrong county for villages which have duplicates in one or more counties.

There is a probate for a Hester Aston in 1852 in Buscott and a likely Hester on 1841 census. I haven't found her in 1851 or a death yet. She may have died before 1851 and probate delayed a bit.
There are two Eltham girls b Christian Malford after James Eltham's marriage to Mary Crew (according to census records) but not able to find baptism records

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 April 21 13:59 BST (UK) »
Ancestry

UK, Land Tax Redemption - 1798 - Buscot, Berkshire

Name of Proprietors
Wm. Aston *

Name of Proprietors
* himself and Wm  SANDELL

Sums Affeffed : 3 shillings.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 July 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have nothing further on John or Elizabeth or Hetty's illegitimate son James Newman Eltham bapt 13 Mar 1789.( I have only seen a transcript, so wonder whether the Newman might be Norman)

John was baptised at Hannington on 25 Oct 1782. He's a good fit for the John on my other thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786799.msg6420846#msg6420846

who married Ann Love and father of the James I was originally seeking.
I discovered the second page of the marriage licence between John and Ann (9 Dec 1804) and it says he's 21. He was a coachman which makes him quite mobile. I had wondered whether the one who married Ann Love was my 3 x great grandfather's brother John Eltham who disappears after baptism but he was born abt 1766, so would be much too old.

I'm still trying to find a connection with the Eliza who married Thomas Bishop in Wantage
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=692046.0

Right age to be James's sister, but if they were John of Hannington's children, the family were from Standlake originally, so no real link to Wantage