Author Topic: Help working out the family dynamics and missing father in an illegitimacy  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I've been puzzling over my 3xgreat-grandfather' birth and childhood for a while now. He was born Andrew Craig in 1884, illegitimate, to Margaret Buttler and Andrew Craig. Margaret was working as a dairymaid in Campsie at the time, and father Andrew was working as a ploughman on Devol Farm, which I believe is just north of Paisley.

Father Andrew was present at the birth and went along to sign the register, but I can find no trace of him outside of that certificate. He doesn't seem to be working at Devol Farm in neither the 1881 not 1891 census.

In 1887 Margaret had another illegitimate child, John, and while the father wasn't recorded on the certificate, I found that the father was a Thomas Tierney through the Sheriff decree records. She doesn't seem to have taken Andrew Craig to court for support - does this, coupled with Andrew being present at the birth and his son being named after him, suggest he at least took responsibility for his son?

Andrew Jnr is in the 1891 census living with an Ann Breen, the relationship being "adopted". They're living in Campsie. I'm not sure what Ann's relationship is to Margaret and Andrew Jnr, but in the 1861 census she's living at the same farm as Margaret's parents and is also an Irish immigrant  like Margaret's parents, suggesting she either knew Margaret since she was born or is related in some way. In 1891 son John is living with Margaret's sister Sarah and her family in Baldernock. I can't find Margaret in the census for 1891.

Margaret marries John Berry in December 1891 in Inchinnan, and come the 1901 census both boys are back living with her and going by the surname Berry. Andrew used Craig in adulthood, and his father's identity was known, appearing in both his marriage and death certificates.

So, my questions are - where was father Andrew Craig at any time other than the day his son's birth was registered? Where is Margaret in 1891? What are the implications for there being a record of her taking one child's father to court for payment but not the other?

My main goal would be to one day learn more about father Andrew Craig. It's tantalising having a name and place of work but not being to pick him out in any other records.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help working out the family dynamics and missing father in an illegitimacy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be Andrew CRAIG a ploughman born c1866 in East Kilbride.  In 1891 he was working at Bardraney farmhouse in Kilmacolm which is around the same area.  Wasn't Devol farm in Port Glasgow?

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thought this sounded familiar.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=842135.0
Hi Forfarian, yes, that's me having forgotten to log out of my wife's account!

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be Andrew CRAIG a ploughman born c1866 in East Kilbride.  In 1891 he was working at Bardraney farmhouse in Kilmacolm which is around the same area.  Wasn't Devol farm in Port Glasgow?

Debra  :)

Hi Debra,

Good shout  :o From what I can tell Devol farm is just south of Port Glasgow, and a lot of the farmland is now a golf course. Bardraney must be Bardrainney - if what my quick googling suggests is correct, the housing that makes up modern-day Bardrainney is on what used to be the fields, so Devol Farm and Bardrainney would have been neighbouring farmland.

Right location, right job, right name, and plausible age - I think you've cracked it  ;D ;D

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if the Thomas Tierney of which you speak is the same Thomas that I have in my tree.  Mine was born in 1864 in Dunkineely, Donegal, Ireland, the son of Patrick Tierney & Sarah Cairns.  He had 8 seemingly legitimate children (that I know about) with Mary Catterson in Paisley.  He died in1943 in Paisley.

Terri
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if the Thomas Tierney of which you speak is the same Thomas that I have in my tree.  Mine was born in 1864 in Dunkineely, Donegal, Ireland, the son of Patrick Tierney & Sarah Cairns.  He had 8 seemingly legitimate children (that I know about) with Mary Catterson in Paisley.  He died in1943 in Paisley.

Terri
Hi Terri,

Interesting! I ordered the decree between Margaret and Thomas, and as of December 1887 he's living in Barnsfield Toll, Inchinnan and working as a ploughman (I could be reading Barnsfield incorrectly). I've not looked into him otherwise, so don't know anything else.

Offline Katie1407

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 22 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I know this is an old post so dont know if the OP will even still be registered. Andrew Craig (born 1884) was my Grandfather. My Dad, William Leitch Craig's dad. I've only just started researching my family tree.
I have found information on Andrew Craig (father) on another family tree, but am still checking that information out.
If you are back on here would love to hear from you. Cant see that there is any way to contact you direc

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Make another post then you'll be able to send OP a message.  :)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman