Author Topic: Mary Rauchle Why two Birth Registrations  (Read 552 times)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Rauchle Why two Birth Registrations
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 02:26 GMT (UK) »
As you say - intriguing!

I am thinking, like JM, that it's possible there were 2 babies, born a year apart. Or perhaps the 1915 re-registration was to use the name she was known by in 1915 ( Mary, rather than Annie Mary) or her birthplace which differs by some 23km.

I am not familiar with Queensland certificates - on each transcript a 'witness' is shown, different on each of the transcripts in this case.  Is this a witness to the registration or is it a witness to the birth as some certificates in other places show?

Births of all of her siblings appear to have been registered within the year of their birth.

I note that there is this Qld Marriage registration:
Mary Rauchle = Arthur Smith, 04/01/1913,  Registration details:1913/C/882
But it's a big family, so perhaps that's a cousin.

Sad her parents died only a few weeks apart.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Kate Matilda's birth registration seems to be the only one which which is slightly inconsistent (apart from spelling anomalies Rachle/Reichle and the changing of father's name to Charles on later registration) so I wonder if someone else was actually the informant for that registration.  "Kate" marries using the name Katharine
Katharine Matilda Rauchle, Humphrey WEIR 28/12/1904

Death registered as Kate, but called Katherine in death notice and obit.

Registration details:1952/C/5720
Kate Matilda Weir, 20/09/1952
Mother's name:Elizabeth Berghefer
Father/parent's name:Charley Rauchle

Obits:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191087699
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191087996

None of which helps much with Mary.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I have had a phone call from one of my ancient living rellies, a retired NSW BDM senior officer. 

:-[  :-[  :-[  I should have looked carefully at Qld BDM online website.   :-[  :-[  :-[

It is just one lass,  not two.  The 1915 registration's reference as per the Qld online index includes the clue   :-[  :-[  :-[ 

B for Brisbane,  C for Country, M for marine, O for Memo birth,  R for Late registration, BBP Church record of a baptism....   

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh    ummmmm....   
and its reference is 1915/O/1225  so it is a Memo birth.   So in 1915, it is likely that the BDM office did not find the 1883 birth registration (too many differences - baby's given name, spelling of Dad's surname, mum's given names,  and different year of birth) .... but issued the 1915 accepting the information that in 1915 Mary's parents recalled about her 1884 birth.

I asked why it would have been needed in 1915 - while rellie is not sure, he mentioned that it was probably NOT needed for WWI ID but it may have been sensible for a female school teacher to have handy if parents of students questioned where she was born particularly if her words carried an accent from her familiarity with her parents.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Majm and your ancient rellies. It makes sense that a young single woman would want proof of birth as she did travel around a lot.  I have the naturalisation certificate for Carl with last name Reuchle in 1873 in Toowoomba age 31 and a farmer.
I have read some newspaper reports that are very ugly about those of German descent when many enlisted in WW1.
Thanks again everyone for all your help