Author Topic: Is there a free BMD search website for Scotland?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a free BMD search website for Scotland?
« on: Tuesday 02 February 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
For English and Welsh BMD's I always start with FREEBMD as I'm only looking for possible births or marriages or death dates and possible spouses before I start researching in detail.

Is there a equivalent website for Scotland?

I'm currently one of the Covid unemployed at the moment and can't really afford any more subscriptions. The people I want to look up are possible DNA matches and are still alive so I can't request lookups.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a free BMD search website for Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
No.

Only available via Scotlandspeople.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »
There's no charge to search the Scotland's People indices - it's not a subscription service - you only pay if you want to view an actual record.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
The SP indexes are available right up to 2020 , I don't think FreeBMD have that.
However , the indexes don't have mother's maiden surname on births which does not help.

That said , deaths after 1973 should give you a mother's maiden name , and a for females a maiden surname and marriage surname with a bit of tweaking , but the index does not show if surname
is the marriage one or maiden one.
I would think the accuracy of any results would depend on how common the names are and how much information you have to start with  :-\
Restrictions apply to what you can view online anyway(Births 100 years , marriages 75 years , deaths 50 years).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that you can now also search deaths between 1855 and 1880 using mother's maiden name as well on ScotlandsPeople. The deaths of women in Scotland are registered under both their maiden and married names, so once you have identified a potential candidate the trick is to search in that registration district using just their forename. Any individuals that you turn up with the same age and reference number, but with different surnames, will be the same woman, so if you know their maiden name this gives you a way of searching for potential marriages given that you now know their married surname.

The Scottish birth and marriage indexes on FamilySearch, which are free to access, also give you an avenue for finding the births of children from 1855 to 1874 by searching on their parent's names, and this will also return their birth dates as well. There is a corresponding index for marriages as well, I'm not sure of the exact period this one covers, but presumably at least the first 20 years of statutory registration. Both indexes also cover the pre-1855 OPRs, but searching on ScotlandsPeople gives you much the same information for the OPRs.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes if you're lucky, so worth a try: FreeREG seems to be an often forgotten resource. It covers pre-1855 events (the OPR) but not for all parishes. https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Don't forget FreeCEN either. The new version https://www.freecen.org.uk/. The old version (easy to reach from the new version) is often useful with search facilities that the new version doesn't have.