Author Topic: Can anything be done to enhance this picture of George Ernest Rowles  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anything be done to enhance this picture of George Ernest Rowles
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 February 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
might as well jump in here ... I recently installed Windows 10 over my much abused Windows 7 and every update slowed it until with only paint.net running every Clone Stamp paused to SAVE, never happened in Win 7 ... so I kissed them both goodbye and installed a Linux Distro called Peppermint 10, absolutely brilliant and lightning fast.  I downloaded GIMP and even after 4 months of trying it I was still not finding out how to do even the simplest task .... then I discovered Pixelitor (Free).  So this is only my second offering .... a bit belated and sad to say only my artful intelligence to boot, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline TROOPER ROLLO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ian,

I am at the stage now where I am sticking to what I have and what I can easily use.
There are so many new products I would not know where to start.
But thank you for your input.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I'd still be using paint.net but they don't have a Linux version and GIMP overwhelms me.  Pixelitor has a great feature which Restorers will appreciate, namely the Clone Stamp.
You select the Clone Stamp size, simply and speedily changed to suit, choose Hard or Soft and RIGHT-CLICK the area to be copied ... it stays fixed until you Right-click again ... and left-click to Copy wherever you wish.  It just speeds up restoring damaged areas tenfold.  The other tools are similar to other Photo Restore apps, but intuitive and simple, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline chlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Have any of you tried Pixlr? pixlr.com/editor.
it's free & online so no downloading any software.
Feel free to use any of my edits to enhance further

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I clicked on your link and Firefox came up with a warning of 1 million compromised log-ins. It may be nothing to worry about but I closed the page promptly anyhow!
Have you used Pixelitor, if so, have you any tips re: colorization ?
cheers, Ian

Offline chlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thats odd the sites solid (see vid)
I've never used Pixelitor I'll look it up, I do all my editing in photoshop CS6
then I colorize pics on https://www.colorizephoto.com/converter ( it's amazing )

pixlr tutorial on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOCi_I5_Jc
Feel free to use any of my edits to enhance further

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 11:25 GMT (UK) »
had a quick look at Colorize ... excellent.  I'll try it out on a full photo after I've finished with my grandson's online school lesson and as usual he has chosen to create a hybrid character with different dino parents and now I'm supposed to be helping him resolve the features and appearances  and functions.  What little I know of dinosaurs I learned from him ( since he was 4, now he's 8 ) and there is not only nothing he doesn't know about them, he's even inventing his own hybrids and is convinced that eventually some archaeologists will discover proof of their existence in the fossil records. Oh! happy days. cheers, Ian