Author Topic: Joseph Deakin of Little Wenlock and Bilston c1800  (Read 409 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Deakin of Little Wenlock and Bilston c1800
« on: Tuesday 02 February 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I've placed a similar post on the Shropshire board as Joseph seems to have left his county of birth at the beginning of the 19th century.  He probably moved to follow his brother Benjamin, who lived through until 1820 in the Bilston/Wolverhampton area.  While I can find information on Benjamin (e.g. 1803 marriage St Peter's Wolverhampton) Joseph is proving elusive.

Joseph Deakin, baptised Little Wenlock 21/01/1783 (and so possibly born December 1782), is my great (x3) great-uncle.  He was a son of Samuel and Hannah Deakin.  It's possible he married Jane Rushton, 09/12/1811, at Wolverhampton St Peter's.  More curiously, there's a family story that he was a champion race walker.

Does anyone have any insights on this Joseph?  I cannot find any other material, as a groom, as a parent of a child presented for baptism, father of the groom or bride, or in the 1841 Census or 1851 Census (he's not the man in Wellington).  He is not the shoemaker/cordwainer who married Sophia Walker in Wellington in 1805.  He would more likely have been a coalminer.

This is all a bit of a longshot, but thanks for checking this out.

BB

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Deakin of Little Wenlock and Bilston c1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a Joseph Deakin who was a champion race walker who competed in the 1908 Olympics are you sure that someone hasn't mixed them up? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Deakin

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Willow

I'll check this out.  Anything is possible with family stories.

Your Joseph was the first child of Edwin Deakin, born 1855 in Tamworth Staffs.  Mother's maiden name Highfield.  (Edwin and his wife Annie [maiden name Prophett] were in Walton by Chesterfield in 1911.

Going back in time I can't immediately see a Deakin-Highfield marriage or 1861 and 1871 entries for Edwin. 

Thanks again, Willow. This could well lead us somewhere.

BB

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a Joseph born in Wenlock living in Sedgley with a wife called Hannah and stepson in 1851 but the age is a bit out he is a coal miner

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /